Finally getting back to making boxes

hah! i see it now on the open lid shot.

part of me wants to call it the charlie brown box.

3 Likes

I came to this conclusion too. Friction fit is tough with hardwoods, not impossible but it’s slow and risky. I’ve got it now where it’s got just enough friction to hold together while the glue sets, nowhere near the “hammer tight” that I used to do. I haven’t cracked a finger in quite a while.

3 Likes

*sigh *

yeah. you’re probably right. 99% of all the fingers i’ve broken doing friction fit have been hardwood. and getting the kerf right has seemed harder (no pun intended) with hardwoods, too. i’ve made so many friction fit boxes, mostly in plywood, that it’s habit. i need to open up the kerf more on hardwood.

Ever tried tapering them?

I’ve done that on long edges with several tabs, like what the popular “box generators” put out.

1 Like

And with the lips peeled back the box looks like it wants to bite something. With the right fractal engraving you could give it some bark as well :wink:

1 Like

For a pro model most 1/8” hardwoods work just fine for me at 0.006”, cutting single pass hot and fast. If you go slower kerf tends to get wider, likewise if you do multiple passes. It’s definitely not an exact science.

Basics tend to cut more slowly and so I believe their kerfs get wider. @elsieh has been delving into precision inlay on a basic, got anything to add?

(Is this settings talk?)

1 Like

I would if I had anything figured out. All I know is .006 doesn’t work, and I’ve varying success going all the way up to .01, where some pieces cut in the same job, same settings, from the same material fit well, others not even tight enough to stay put. And that was using proofgrade. (And also, not boxes with fingers, that was for cutout shapes, not sure if it matters)

2 Likes

I haven’t. Does it show on the edges? I did actually start with boxes.py and the modify edges, but I don’t think that has tapered edges.

I’m talking by a thou or two. It doesn’t show but it makes fitting the parts a lot easier.

1 Like

When too tight I often taper the front of the finger just a bit as once it gets started it can squeeze much closer than can get started pre squeeze. :nerd_face:

1 Like