Finished: Tell us why you bought a Glowforge

@michelle, I hope you like this post. It’s from the heart.

How did you see it? Sorry to plug another company, but I saw it in the sidebar of Facebook and watched the video. But, I can happily say that the GF community forum has surpassed my social need. These people are fantastic, helpful, giving, and don’t post inane things about where they are every day. I haven’t been on that other site since my first GF arrived a month ago.

What did you first think? I thought the video was amazing. I may have pressed “buy”, right then and there. The gatling gun drone was cool, but the Trace function really got me. This is a significantly shortened answer from a story that starts in 1926 when my Dad was 12. He was born in 1914 to a businessman and a mother who was always striving higher. She was one of the first women graduates of her high school in Plainfield, NJ and went on to spend considerable time helping others. My Dad’s grandfather was a entrepreneur. He had the first radio station in NJ, a blacksmith shop, a mill working shop and other “maker” spaces of the time. In approximately 1935, the Plainfield electric company raised my great-grandfathers electric rates. Why not, they probably thought. What can he do about it? Well, he told them to cut the power, he wasn’t paying. He built a large diesel fuel storage container out of concrete and bought diesel motors and generators. He was off the grid. But back to my Dad. When he was 12, he started a woodworking shop in his parents attic. His grandfather probably had a hand in that. Soon after, he was inspired by a Singer sewing machine base, and started making coffee table legs with similar grace, and wood tops out of cherry. He advertised in Good Housekeeping and shipped over 1,500 tables across the country. These tables were the staple of his first business in 1946, that became a well known and respected furniture store in northern NJ, called the Valley Furniture Shop. They sold a lot of high end furniture including Stickley, Henkel Harris, and Hooker. The store outlasted my Dad and only closed a few years ago.

For that company he built a two story warehouse and needed a freight elevator to the second floor. The prices were crazy from I assume Otis, so he built a hydraulic platform outside to get the furniture up. There are two of these and they are still in operation. He retired when I was 12, and that’s when I began to learn about his never ending desire to build a better mousetrap. He inspired me to become an architect because he required me to make a drawing of anything I wanted to make in the shop, and he general contracted our houses, and during my college years, other peoples houses. He built floating docks, boats, furniture, widgets, etc. And, not just in wood. He designed and built Franklin stoves, cannon, jewelry boxes for sale, maple building blocks for kids, and more table legs. He went to the local foundry in 1980 or so to have more legs made, and didn’t like their prices. So, he built his own foundry by the side of his house, bought aluminum ingots, and poured them himself. Last example: When he was 74, in New Hampshire, he was on a board that was going to build a tall ship from scratch. (It was a famous one, I just don’t recall whose.) The ship had twelve, 5’ cannon on board and he volunteered to make them. The board scoffed, and he set out to prove that he could do it. He didn’t want them to be cast iron - too heavy, but if they were aluminum and someone decided to test it out, it would explode and kill someone. He settled on aluminum with a thick wall stainless steel pipe core. He again went to a foundry to have the barrels made and they told him you couldn’t mix metals. He said that he would show them how. Now, they make reproduction cannon barrels.

So, this is still a shortened story of what got my wheels turning about all the possibilities of having a laser. I could see the future… My work life needed a significant shift and this could be it. I live across the street from a gift shop that sells mostly items made by the local artists. I have written two books and they are sold in that store as well as online. When I go into the store, the owner is always asking what else can I make that she can sell. And, now… I have a LASER!

I still send friends to the GF link to show them how amazing this machine is, and recommend that they buy one.

How long did it take you to decide? It probably took under an hour. I started a company due to the above book sales and a separate bank account. I also do historic preservation consulting and that money is separate. I had been thinking about what business expense to use that income for, and the GF was the answer. BUT, I only went for the Basic. It was still kind of a lot of money to spend on an unresearched dream. Ultimately, over the next year, after thinking about all the things I could do with a pass-through slot and MORE POWER, I upgraded to the Pro.

Three weeks ago, another buyer posted that he couldn’t use the Basic that he bought without the air filter and wanted to sell it - unopened. I jumped at the chance to have another of these fantastic machines. He lives in Manhattan, and my girlfriend’s house where I spend about half my week, was only an hour from there. We made a deal and two weeks ago, I drove into the big apple, and bought a second machine. He was heartbroken to sell it. It’s as if this community has known each other for life and have a shared mind. I absolutely knew how he was feeling. I told him that “his” machine would be a mere 40 minute ferry ride due south if he wanted to come down and make things. That seemed to brighten his day, and get his wheels turning.

What, if any, reading did you do or discussions did you have before deciding? Before, not much. I did a lot of web surfing over the next two years about what I could make. And, after getting the golden email, I read up about lasers more, and I’m fully sure that I did the right thing… twice!

Was anyone else a part of the decision? Not literally. But, I could see in my mind the creativity that it would inspire in my kids, (ages 14 and 17.) And, that has come true. They have already done some things that have inspired them to do more.

What do you hope to get from your Glowforge? I hope to start a new business near my girlfriends house, to taper off architecture and follow in my Dad’s footsteps to “make” for a living. There is a little store downtown with some garages behind it. I’ve thought of buying the building, having a shop in front and small makerspace in the back. I’d like the shop to sell items from local makers, and maybe the space behind it is a co-op of sorts where we share knowledge and machines, and sell our wares in the store and online. Something that maybe singularly we wouldn’t be able to do.

If the purchase was wildly successful, tell us why and how you feel about it! I think this answer is mixed in with others above. I bought a second one… although in hindsight, I wish it was a Pro, but now the price is just a little too much for an as-yet unrealized dream. Maybe in a few years after I’ve recouped my outlay, I’ll sell the Basic and get a Pro.

Lastly. The community and the GF support are phenomenal. The Glowfolks I’ve interacted with to learn their background, the responders and the beta testers are all an amazing group of people. I look forward to the evolution of the software and the knowledge base as we all make together.

7 Likes

How did you see it?
I first saw it in a link from my then fiance. She pointed it out to me and said something along the lines of, “Hey you know all those things you have in your head? This can make them!”

What did you first think?
It was cool, I could see the utility and had a TON of ideas for it. Which I’m still fleshing out.

How long did it take you to decide?
About a day or so, we talked over the logistics of the inital cost and looked around comparing other laser cutters that were currently available. Or under development.

What, if any, reading did you do or discussions did you have before deciding?
I can’t remember specifics, but I perused several forums, read reviews, horror stories, and looked at what others had already made on various other laser cutters.

Was anyone else a part of the decision?
My wife was, we were buying it together. We didn’t have a lot of money as we were just getting started in life and figuring out our places in it.

What do you hope to get from your Glowforge?
Honestly I’m not certain, mostly a way to make things real. Perhaps to help provide another source of income, or a wedge into a more satisfying field of work for myself.

If the purchase was wildly successful, tell us why and how you feel about it!
I’m very happy with the purchase, I’ve only gotten to use it a handful of times and I feel like I’m learning something new each time and there is so much more potential. The initial setbacks were a bit of a scare, I won’t lie and say I didn’t consider pulling out of the investment, there were times where I could of used that money back but ultimately we made due. Ultimately I am happy with the way things turned out, and the wife is too. I’ve been the one using it the most, for her projects, since she is busy with our newish child but she also wants to get on it as soon as she can.

Finding my way in the world of design software has been a hurdle, but one that I’m happy to spend time doing, since ultimately I hope that something comes of it. As a hobbyist maker I’m not exactly skilled in everything, I’ve dabbled in most things, leatherwork, chain mail, wood projects, and metal smithing, But by and large the glowforge has been the quickest turn around from idea to product I’ve been able to achieve. And that makes me a happy maker, as my ADHD doesn’t always allow me to spend a ton of time refining processes.

I’m pleased I waited for the glowforge, There are improvements to be made, of course as with anything but I’m happy to see that they are being made, in leaps and bounds. Compared to other projects I’ve seen, where the creators seem to go, “Its out!” then a few months later, “Here are some fixes. Now don’t bother us, we’re working on this new thing.” The glowforge staff seem to be sticking with improving the software as fast and as efficiently as possible. I’m just hoping they eventually reach a point where they are comfortable removing it from the cloud. But I can see the value of having it there for now as it allows them to collect data in real time to refine the process, and beam any upgrades directly to us as they become available.

I’ve read the complaints, and I do have a few of my own. But I also understand that this product is new, and will have growing pains. Heck even rudimentary home C&C routing tables are super new technology, and now we are doing it with lasers. Ultimately I’m happy with my tame house laser.

7 Likes

I first stumbled across one of Glowforge’s online adds. The video just reached out and grabbed me. My first thought was, “man, that would be a fun toy.” I watched it again, showing it to my wife and that time what I thought was, “That has some real potential.” My brain started to buzz and soon I had a whole business plan. I had been looking for a way to make a little money on the side. Every time I saw the video my vision would become a little clearer. We waited a couple of months to make the purchase–we originally saw the video while on vacation at the coast, so we needed our bank account to recuperate.

Granted I’ve had lots of (crazy) ideas, but with the Glowforge and it’s abilities, this was a vision my wife saw as clearly as I did. Let me just say that was a first.

From the day it was delivered the Glowforge has been a hit. My only real problem is all the little projects that keep getting in the way of ramping our little side business up. The possibilities with this machine are endless. It’s early in the game, but the initial response to our business has been great, my little business may not stay little long thanks to the ease of use and ability of the Glowforge. My only complaint is that I can’t cram more hours in the day to spend with the Glowforge!

**And as a bonus, you won’t find a better, more helful, more inspiring online community around any product anywhere. It almost makes me feel like I should pay for the Glowforge twice, once for the machine, and once for the community–Don’t get any ideas @dan :smile:

10 Likes

I was first made aware of the Glowforge via a note from a buddy of mine. We’re coworkers from four jobs ago that became tight friends, but we live on opposite sides of the country and so communicate mostly through online gaming and notes to each other that start with “OMG, check this out. You should do this…”.
After years on the road for work, my life had a more stable base of operations, and I’d been trying to make up for lost time. What, I would ask, can I do now that I have some space to operate? Easy, I wanna make stuff. I bought some Arduino kits, a circular saw, a Dremmel, and a bag of landscape rocks. And other stuff. And dove in. And played. And made stuff.
Right about then, Tom sent me the Glowforge link, I watched the video, and that thing that clicks in your head clicked. I wanted something to expand the possibilities, a launchpad to stuff I didn’t know how to do yet, a new playground. This Glowforge thing could be that. I was excited.
I mulled it over for about a week, read some posts, and discussed with my wife. It was a lot of money for something for which I didn’t have a firm plan, but we could manage it and so made the order. I did check out some other options to see if this was the right way to go: other laser systems, CNC machines, 3-D printers, an Erector set. In the end, this looked approachable and I could think of more things that I wanted to do with it, so Glowforge won out.
OK, full disclosure, I also got the Erector set.
I would say that the purchase was very successful; not one that I regret in the least. But, here’s the kicker: I haven’t really done much with it yet.
Received it around Thanksgiving, a month after a house move. Started getting set up in the garage; too cold! Change plans: build a shop in the basement; too messy from the move! Cleaning up required storage shelves, they required a workbench for my tools, that “required” building out a wood shop in the cold garage… one thing leads to another and THAT is why the Glowforge has been great for me. Wanting to get set up (the right way) and have a place to work on stuff that’s as cool as the Forge that is its centerpiece has driven me to do stuff I’m already, before really lasering anything, Really happy with. I love my basement fabrication shop. I love my garage woodshop. I’m crazy excited about next steps and what I’m going to build next. It will probably be stuff on the Forge.
And part of me is pretty sure that, without getting the Glowforge, I might not be this far along. Maybe the shops would have gotten built this coming summer. Maybe I would have played more video games or watched more TV these past few months. But the focus that getting this tool has given me has changed what “entertainment” means for me. “Fun” means designing what I want and going out and making it. Some people need the right incentive and getting the Glowforge has been mine.

6 Likes

How did you see it?
I honestly don’t remember. It may have been on Facebook or Kickstarter - I frequent both. Once I saw the video for the :glowforge:, I forgot where I came from.

Wow! This thing is amazing! The video sold me on wanting a Glowforge. Seeing the cool things this was advertised to do, like cutting chocolate rockets, the Settlers of Katan board (although I didn’t know what it was), the quad copter, and the sushi rolls. This thing represents the freedom to utilize my creativity.

I pretty much decided by the end of the video. A bit more reading helped me to decide on the pro model due to the capability of the pass through, and the advertised auto-align feature. The things I want to accomplish with it were running through my mind fast. The more I thought about it, the more I wanted it.

I read just about every corner of the Glowforge website. I read everything I could find on the web about Dan in order to evaluate the likelihood of this device becoming a reality. I read up a little on other lasers, and then watched all the Glowforge YouTube videos I could find.

Well, Dan was. Reading up on the great things Dan has done in the past, solidified my decision. Other than that, no. I’m sure all of my friends got tired of me talking about it and showing them the video.

I’ve already been able to easily express my creativity with the Glowforge, which is a requirement for life fulfillment for me. The next step is to begin prototyping a few products I have floating around in my head.

The Glowforge has allowed me to fulfill many of my creative needs! I get excited when I get to spend time making things with it. Prototyping is much easier when I can try something out, quickly make changes, and produce my changes all in house. As a toy, it was worth the money. As a tool, it will pay for itself quickly.

A personal note
@dan - The road has been long, but you have kept us informed of the challenges and wins. Receiving a copy of The Hot Seat was helpful in filling the gap, and further inspiring me to develop a plan for a nonprofit I’ve been planning for years. Thank you Dan.

6 Likes

I believe I first found out about glowforge from fellow makers sharing it on their facebook page. I had a couple friends who used laser cutters for their cosplay and seeing their projects come to life made me really wish I had one too.

The website made an excellent first impression on me and I loved all the videos showcasing each project that could be made with the glowforge. Around the same time when glowforge first launched was when I discovered the makerspace known as Techshop. Since glowforge was in preorder status, I decided I’ll join Techshop instead of preordering in order to get started right away. I figured I could always pay the more expensive rate if I really would use the laser cutter and engraving machine to warrent the hefty price tag. Well I ended up being a member of techshop for 2 years until it went bankrupt and I did end up spending majority of my time needing this type of machine. Because of the hands-on experience, I knew I needed to buy a Glowforge (it was a huge plus when the company gave discounts to techshop orphans).

So my glowforge arrived last week and I’ve been playing with it nearly every day, I love it! There are a few things that I wish the app had right now (like a pause button, save cutting preferences, and numerical position and scale), but I know these basic features are coming.

My family was delighted at a project I made with my 6 year old niece for Chinese New Years when I used the scan and engrave feature with a drawing she did that day. She was grinning ear to ear holding her artwork engraved in wood. I think it’s important to inspire children to make at a young age to spark creativity, a sense of wonder, and that they make it happen. Glowforge is a perfect tool for that!

10 Likes

I have been a hobbiest woodworker for a number of years now and an Engineer by trade, I love to build and put things together. For a long time I’ve tried my hand at woodburning on my completed items that I’ve made in my shop and they had been only passable. I am not an artist with a woodburning tool, though many times I wished that I was. I had been considering a laser off-and-on for a few years as a way to embellish my already existing pieces and to enhance future creations. As such, I had done a fair bit of research into lasers and knew that I didn’t want to deal with something from China, and it was too much of a hobby for me to consider the really expensive options. That brought my considerations to a very small band that would “work” for me. I follow the tested channel and really like their review on many different things and in the midst of my research I came across their review of the Glowforge. They were surprised about a number of things that Glowforge was already doing at that time and how this hobby laser was going to change the landscape. I didn’t have to work too hard to convince my wife that this would be a good investment, we had already decided that a laser was in our inevitable future, and the price point of this laser with the capabilities that was already shown in the Tested Video and the Promo Video were major selling points to jump on board. The promise to refund the money at any time up until the laser was shipped was another major selling point, it told me that the company believed in their product so much that they were willing to do right by their customers even if it meant making it a bit harder on themselves.

I did more research for about two days, looking at what made the “good” lasers and how Glowforge stacked up. I finally pulled the trigger on the purchase about a week after I first saw the Tested review. I used money I earned in my woodworking hobby to pay for the laser and decided to just sit by and see what happens. I didn’t know about the forum until a few months later and was poking around the site to see if there were any updates on the production and stumbled into the forum. I’ve never liked other forums, mainly because if they had already been established, it was extremely difficult to “fit in” or to catch up on the historical knowledge. With Glowforge, even after a few months of being up I found a community that was very welcoming, warm, and chock full of folks who wanted to help each other out. I’ve since read nearly every post, topic, question, and complaint. I’ve done what I could to contribute what knowledge I have to this vast pool of knowledge, skill, and creativity.

I have my glowforge in my home now, and it has been bringing joy to myself and others ever since it was delivered. It has embellished my current projects as I hoped, and it has found it’s way into the creation process of other projects I’ve been working on. I know it’s stated limitations and so far I have found it easy enough to stay within most of those boundaries. I had never used a Laser before owning my Glowforge and the ease with which I was able to get up and running was nothing short of amazing. It probably took me about an hour or so to go from unboxing to my first print, but that was because I had to come up with a design and make a venting solution so that the fumes would not come back into the house. I can’t image myself wanting to deal with all the headaches and hassles that I’ve heard plague other users of other laser machines.

8 Likes

My husband reads a lot of maker blogs and first heard about the Glowforge in the first 30 days of the Kickstarter program from Boing Boing. We were blown away - it took us about 24 hours to decide to go for it and we made our decision as a family, as we do with purchasing computers, phones etc.
Out of the box we were slightly intimidated. It’s a laser. In our house. We wanted to be safe and not start a fire or vent anything dangerous. But almost immediately we felt at ease and from our very first prints it’s been like Christmas morning over and over every time we open that lid!
When we ordered (and waited for) our Glowforge we had no idea how this tool would change our lives. Not to date myself, but it’s a bit like moving from the old rub on Letraset lettering to publishing with an iMac - overnight!
I’m a handbag designer and had imagined that the possibilities for designing custom leather goods could be pretty cool. Perforated leather and all that. But it wasn’t until I had the forge in my hands that I could truly appreciate how I could design and cut a product from start to finish with precision. It’s turned my design process on its head. It’s pushing me to think creatively in a whole new way but I’ve only scratched the surface.
I think putting this tool in peoples hands will change the way we live and relate to objects. I think it will change the licensed product category - just look on the forum and see how many people are creating Star Wars, Doctor Who, Marvel etc. objects for their personal use.
Will the romance ever wear off? It hasn’t so far. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

6 Likes

• How did you see it?
I saw the Glowforge originally on a few blogs, it was about a week into your crowdfunding process, and there was already a bit of buzz.
• What did you first think?
I have some experience with both embedded systems and front-end software design. My immediate thoughts were “too good to be true”, followed quickly by “OK I want it to be true, but wow, they have a software mountain ahead of them.”
• How long did it take you to decide?
I considered it for a couple weeks at least, ultimately going for it on day 29 or so. These days, you can’t be too careful with crowdfunding projects, especially very ambitious ones. I was concerned that something didn’t add up, especially that your timeline seemed too aggressive. Your claims about the hardware seemed attainable, the software seemed more like a risk. My worries turned out to be fairly justified, as the software till isn’t where you promised in the crowdfunding campaign.
Ultimately, Glowforge nailed the fundamentals, the quality of what can be produced is excellent. Most of what features are still pending are of relatively low importance to me.
• What, if any, reading did you do or discussions did you have before deciding?
I was already pretty interested in laser cutters and digital fabrication, so a lot of that research was behind me. I concentrated on reading your releases and watching videos, trying to separate the real from the hyperbole. I took a closer look at your claims about what improvements you bring to the table, especially workflow, versus traditional laser cutters. I compared and contrasted what a laser can do vs a more traditional CNC, then carefully and honestly thought about the sorts of things I like to make.
• Was anyone else a part of the decision?
Not directly, but I had a friend who also preordered, which encouraged me. Unfortunately, he canceled his preorder when another delay was announced. Of course, he didn’t know he was only 6 months away at that point, but he lost his confidence in Glowforge and wanted to use the cash on a more readily attainable CNC.
• What do you hope to get from your Glowforge?
The pleasure of making things is lost on a lot of people these days, but it’s something that brings me great satisfaction. Even if I only use my Glowforge for hobby purposes, it’s worth it to me. At some point, I may try selling a few lasered items, but it will likely never be my primary income source.
• If the purchase was wildly successful, tell us why and how you feel about it!
The Glowforge has sparked a new wave of creativity in my life. The long-term effects of this are hard to explain but they are beneficial on many levels. I have created several very polished gifts that have simply astounded the recipients, which is very gratifying for me. I’ve learned a great deal of practical knowledge about materials ad fabrication, which are topics that I always have been interested in.
Long story short, it has been a great pleasure to own, and “wildly successful” absolutely applies here.

7 Likes

When Dan says you may use my post elsewhere I am proceeding under the assumption that if chosen for marketing materials you’ll use no name or my handle and not the name you have on file for me. If that is not the case, then please disregard what follows. Thank you.

I first encountered the glowforge in a Wired article the spring before the pre-order campaign. I mildly stalked the company, mainly via their website but also other pre-release press Dan was doing, that summer and into the fall.

My first thought was the line Dan used to hook me, “you CAN make beautiful things.” I want to make beautiful things; I want to be an artist; I have the freehand skills of a lemur overdosing on caffeine be it with pencil, knife or tool. That is why I need t-squares and triangles, or software, to draw anything. This was the machine that could free me from my motor-skill issues.

In reality I probably decided the moment I heard the, “you can make beautiful things,” line, and saw some beautiful things from that Wired article. The four or five months between first seeing the glowforge promotional materials and the start of the pre-order campaign should have been the time the company really convinced me, but in fact it was the period where they could have scared me away. Instead I rearranged my meetings the morning the pre-order opened and carefully went through their offering. I hemmed and hawed for ten or fifteen minutes asking myself, “are you really going to do this?” I’m still amazed I managed to pry open my wallet for that much money.

I had no discussions, other than with myself, and surprisingly I did very little reading before purchasing. If I were to decide I needed some rubber bands I could easily spend hours researching my decision. For glowforge I only needed two questions answered: the odds of me not throwing away several thousand dollars and would the product allow me to make what I dreamed of making. Having some experience in how startups are funded, that Dan had backing didn’t impress. That Dan had backing from people who understood the space was what I needed to assure myself. I still considered it to be pretty risky, a lifetime developing embedded products provided that insight, but short of suddenly being granted access to a TARDIS it was the only solid data point I had with no expectation of others.

The second question was the hard one. Decades in R&D means I am well aware of how often equipment, whether expensive lab equipment or that new prototype you’re making, can go down and how finicky it can be. I’ve heard, “oh that’s easy,” plenty of times and it normally means, “after three days of typing commands into a Linux prompt it works. No it won’t do that, but it works.” That is probably why I never considered a laser cutter before the Wired article. I first learned of laser cutters in the early nineties, but I never saw one in a Home Depot. Therefore, I assumed they were expensive and/or they required specialist skills and a lot of fiddling. While I don’t mind fiddling, I do it with my robots all the time, I don’t want to fiddle when I am making something nice. I want to make it not fight with my tools. That is why shooting the promo video in a McMansion, implying this was its natural home, answered my second question. I had doubts they could make it that simple to use, but if that was their goal then missing it meant it was likely to land inside my definition of easy. Only after plunking down my money did I really start to do my research. That some active forum members had plenty of real world laser cutter experience, and they were onboard, helped quell any post-purchase regrets.

I’m single, no other GF, so the decision was all mine.

I hope to get unique, well made, beautiful things from my glowforge. So far so good. I was able to accomplish and learn what I wanted to last fall. With limited space, no fume hood, and no dust collection system I have to sand and finish outside. The mercury only broke into the twenties Fahrenheit this last weekend, after two months of cold, so I’ve been limited to cardboard prototyping and some draft board utility items. I’m so looking forward to setting it free again. I love my laser.

My engineer’s soul won’t grant wildly successful status to anything short of a jackpot winning lottery ticket, but I consider it a good purchase. I have limited space, more than some other owners, but far from what a decent shop requires. The glowforge is a space multiplier. With the glowforge and a bench, and some other basic tools, I can make more things than I ever dreamed I could with what I have. I still can’t draw, but I can quickly and easily import artwork. Combined with what I can make in a CAD program it is simply, absolutely, freakin’ amazing. I don’t know if glowforge is McMansion ready, but it is more than ready for me.

7 Likes

How did you see it?
The original GF Catan board got posted to Reddit, found the website through the link in the comment section.

I made frequent use of the laser cutter while I was at school, and sorely missed it once I graduated. At the time I found Glowforge, there was just sample items, no video and no pre-order campaign. I was excited to see a consumer-priced laser coming to market and bookmarked the website for return once the referral campaign started and more information was forthcoming. I have a 3D printer, and it is great, but the versatility and flexibility of a laser cutter is a whole different and vast realm of fabrication and customization.

I knew I wanted to get the Glowforge, but the final decision would come down to final price. Once the pre-order price was announced, I made my decision and made my order in the evening of the first day of preorders.

Very little to nothing. I knew I wanted one and that GF might be one priced right for me.

Made on my own. I have a very flexible work-space to accommodate the unit and was able to pay for it without help.

I hoped to be able to make my own parts for projects, customize existing items and maybe even sell what I made. So far, all of those things and more have come about.

Glowforge is my favorite tool in my arsenal. Things that were no longer feasible to make are now within reach, with just a little bit of CAD/drawing. It has been not without hangups and snags, but overall, far and above worth more than I paid for it. At least once every day, I find something new that I would be able to laser. Family is using for making gifts and tools, and friends are now coming to me for projects too, and my library of things to make is growing proportionally. I’m on the cusp of being able to start making products for the local miniature gaming scene, and hoping to expand into that in the very near future.

7 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing! What a great story.

3 Likes

How did you see it?
Saw the demo of the Globe light on facebook, plus my youngest daughter was talking about it.

I figured this would be a good tool to have for some robotic parts, or computer mods I have done in the past. Had a cheap CNC that I was not able to use much do to time setup and prep I needed.

took about 4 weeks.

I read up on the Glowforge looking at the Kickstarter page, looked for other demos the team has done. Kids started talking about it and she thought it would be cool to print some 3d objects.
Mainly mine but as the young one had an interests in it as well. I ordered one.

Hope to be able to bring out some ideas, and expand on others. Wanted to change the shape of some robots I was working on, and make some templates from acrylic (drill holes) / etch cut lines into aluminum. Being able to make some Christmas presents for family and share idea with some other friends.

Easy to use but has more limitations than I figured (camera view off). Pass through on pro not fully working (yet). The long delay made me miss a few Christmas used 3D printer to make some fun gifts. Happy I didn’t cancel it, had fun with the limited amount of time I was able to use it (more personal right now than usability).

5 Likes

Every once in a while you come across something truly revolutionary. Maybe you think you’ve seen a lot of this lately, considering how technology has changed our lives greatly in just a few decades. However, many of the things we add to our lives are there to help us consume. I bought a Glowforge because this is a revolutionary tool of creation. A tool that will free my mind to be creative and take away many of the excuses about why I can’t do it.
I’m in education, Science and Technology education to be specific. I first heard about Glowforge from a colleague who casually mentioned it as a “cool thing he saw on Youtube”. I watched the video and was amazed at the possibilities. I was familiar with laser cutters, but this was different. I saw a tool for the masses, one that I could bring into a classroom. I knew right away that this was something we needed. I did some simple research in hopes of avoiding a Kickstarter-type failure investment, but it was Dan that ultimately sealed the deal. I saw a passionate person who seemed to be a true believer. I also reached out to our educational foundation to get a Pro Unit for our school district – each teacher, each parent, each administrator said the same thing – it would be an amazing tool to make student ideas real. From the Engineering teacher to the Art teacher, the ideas started rattling off and we were sold.
For my personal purchase, I just had to get my wife on board. She thought of it like my 3D printer, and knew it would be a welcome hobby. The biggest downside for her has been listening to me constantly go on about ‘we can do this on the Glowforge’ and ‘it’ll be easy to make this with the Glowforge’ during the time we were waiting to get our unit.
My Glowforge just arrived. It’s beautiful. I know what it is going to produce is going to be beautiful. I know it is going to allow me to be more creative than I ever could be without it.

6 Likes

How did you see it?
I don’t recall.

I need this. I was in the market for a laser-cutter, and I was looking at some that were in the $20,000 price range. When I saw the price of the GF, and the features it had, I immediately thought “It’s too good to be true”.

A few days.

I had many discussions with my wife. I also read the forums and people’s opinions. The thing that made up my mind was that I could get a refund any time before the machine shipped. So it was only a small risk. If the first users did not like it, then I could get my money back.

My wife.

Up until now, the only laser I had access to was at a maker space which was about 40 minutes from my house. It was also difficult to book time on it. So any projects I made had to be thoroughly planned before I even left the house, to maximize my time on the laser.

Having a laser in my house is a game-changer. I can prototype things quickly. I can test a lot of different features, settings and designs. I would not do those tests at the maker-space, because I did not want to “waste” the time I had with it doing testing instead of making something productive. Those tests have improved my designs and have made me even more productive.

The purchase has been wildly successful. I’ve created 100s of items with my GF. I know some people talk about the limitations of the software or hardware. But once you accept those limitation, you learn to work within them. I don’t feel limited in what I can create with the GF in comparison to the $30,000 laser at the maker-space. The bed is slightly smaller, and the speed is slightly slower. But not having to drive 40 minutes, and having access to it any time I want surely makes up for those 2 drawbacks. I love my GF and use it every chance I get.

10 Likes

How did you see it?
I saw a video about it on youtube on tested I think, a couple years ago it feels

Simplified laser engraving! man, it sure is cool to live in the future, I really want to get one so I can use it to help out with my leatherworking and general crafting purposes.

the day I saw it, I wanted it but the convincing of my benefactors took some doing.

I read up on the Glowforge and it’s founders, watched demos of it, live streams and so on to see if it was real or just a gimmick because it looked too good to be true.

my family

A fun and easy way to make a little money on the side making personal things for people as well as myself. given how simplified they made it look and how impressive the things were that are said to be made with the help of Glowforge, how could anything go wrong

it was wildly successful in the sense that the money went through and I finally got the product…
honestly, once the sheer joy of finally getting something that I was meant to get well over a year ago left me, all I was left with was the broken box I recieved, an intact machine, still waiting on the air filter because I cant have my windows open in the winter but even if I had it, the things that were promised have yet to be talked about in an email at all or updated, like owners were supposed to get everything available in the promo video inclusing the drone, so when I look at my catalog and nothing is really there, I got kind of upset, because there are wallets in the catalog but not a single one in my collection of usable prints even though they were in the video… I understand delays and things happen but I just feel very let down by Glowforge unable to meet expectations. beyond that, the technical issues are mindnumbing at times… e.g. everything will be set up on the web app, everything is lined up and measured but then when it prints, it is way off from where it looked like it would print on the app. which got worse the further away from center it got… so I would end up with messed up prints because I was trying to be economical with the sample materials and parts of the print would be off in the void of no material where there was cearly material on what was shown on the web app. that level of inacuracy makes the camera all but pointless to see wheather or not something is in your glowforge which makes making adjustments a real pain because there is no reliable way to go from a cut out blank to a blank with personalizing designed with out it being off or distorted thanks to the camera being useless.

all that said, when I reached out to get help/info on when I could expect a replacement box for my Glowforge since the once I received isn’t structurally sound, the device was unscratched even the bag it was it was fine but the box was just gashed, but that isn’t even important when I consider the mountain of promises made by dan in his own words about patterns being available to people who bought them early and not having them yet… I understand delays and stuff but you had to make them once for the video right? so the patterns are available to be put up, I am just wondering why in the years since the video and after getting my Glowforge I still don’t have access to even half of what was shown. (I still really hope you get the license for the Catan tiles because those would be so cool too but that isn’t under the control of Glowforge of course)

I still believe in what Glowforge can become but I really regret not waiting until June for the air filter and Glowforge to be delivered at the same time… maybe then the kinks would be worked out. I get that some people are not going to have a single problem and might even have no idea what I am talking about but I seem to just have bad luck with this kind of stuff and I hope how much Glowforge seems to care about its customers is true and this will actually mean something because it’s a small team of people but that can also be hell for making sure things don’t slip through the cracks, like customers…

I apologize for my obvious frustration but I felt honesty was what you wanted, my case probably isn’t average but it is still a big deal to me and has been a headache since before I even received my Glowforge (long story),.

I don’t know how helpful my statement really is so I recuse myself from any credit… I would really just like the idea of what Glowforge is in my head to become a reality sooner.

5 Likes
  • How did you see it?
    A friend of mine saw it and sent me the link… I’m not quite sure where they heard about it

• What did you first think?
    At the introductory price I couldn’t pass it up. There was so much possibility to turn my ideas into actual physical projects.

• How long did it take you to decide?
    2 Days… I had contacted a few friends to see if we wanted to invest in one together. It took us a little while to work through getting everyone on board and green lit.

• What, if any, reading did you do or discussions did you have before deciding?
    We watched the introductory video multiple times, read all the faqs, clicked on everything from the home page. We googled to see reviews of any competitors. I would suggest that the “Made on a Glowforge” discussion board be made public and linked to the home page so potential customers can see this thing is legit and that people outside the company are creating amazing things. I know I did talk to several people who asked “what would you use it for?” This forum shows so many answers to that question and sparks even more ideas that I had originally. BTW my answer to that was always “what wouldn’t i use it for?”

• Was anyone else a part of the decision?
    We had 3 couples involved in the initial purchase. After the many shipping delays (2 years), we asked ourselves if we still wanted to wait when no real timeline was being given or held to. One of the 3 couples did decide to leave. After researching alternatives, I still couldn’t find another company that could touch the capabilities at the introductory price point. So instead of cancelling the order, I just bought them out of their share of the unit.

• What do you hope to get from your Glowforge?
    I have a good eye for design and planning things “by-the-numbers”. What I lack is the patience of trial and error using traditional tools to try and make those plans, not to mention the lack of true precision my OCD requires. The Glowforge was an ideal solution for me. I could design as precisely as I wish… and let the machine do all the hard work of getting it right in the physical world. So far I’ve been able to take things that I could only imagine prior, and with the Glowforge not only produce them, but do it in a relatively small amount of time… and get it right the first time!

• If the purchase was wildly successful, tell us why and how you feel about it!
    I can honestly say now that it was worth the wait. It amazes me every time I use it. I’ve tried designs that I thought “there is no way this will work”… and you know what… it does work… and always on the first try! I think in the long run this thing will pay for itself just in saving wasted material it would have taken my to get these designs right by using traditional tools (not to mention that the things I make are going to quickly become a separate revenue stream… just booked my first commissioned piece this weekend!)

7 Likes

I was in the middle of teaching a week long technical training course, pretty dry material to be honest. To keep it interesting, I try to learn what my students interests are. I had a very bright student who also had an interest in making movie props. During lunch he put the Glowforge promotional video on the projector.

I had been using a 3D printer for about 2 years. I realized one of the major differences was that the objects cut and engraved by the laser would need little or no post-production work.

By the end of lunch, I had checked to see if I could come up with the funds, and posted a link to the video on Facebook with the caption, “This may happen.”

The feedback on Facebook was very positive, and to say my friends encouraged me to make the purchase would be an understatement. I even had a friend of mine (@johnwills) talk himself into a preorder. He even managed to get in front of me in line, as it took a few days for me to get the cash together.

I had purchased an inexpensive laser from E-bay, so I could learn how the laser worked, and what it could do. It was difficult to run. They are put together in the cheapest way possible, and the software used to control it is ancient. Still the results with the cheap laser were pretty good when I could get it to run.

In comparison to the cheap laser, the Glowforge is a dream to run. The ability to preview where material is going to be cut/engraved saves a ton of time and money. Using the camera allows you to place cuts close together so there is very little waste left over. If you put a little time into it, all that remains is a thin lattice of scrap. The scrap
leftover from the cheap laser was more like Swiss cheese.
I’m currently producing parts for a short run of prototypes out of acrylic sheets. If I used the 3D printer to make this part it would take a little over an hour a piece. The Glowforge cuts and engraves the same piece in a little over 3 minutes. I would also need to spend a significant amount of time sanding and finishing the part if I made it on the 3D printer.

8 Likes

How did you see it?
It’s difficult to remember but I think I initially saw something on Tested about the Glowforge during the first few days of the crowdfunding campaign. That or I bumped into your website video somehow on You Tube. These things get sent to me occassionally by friends.

The promo video astounded me with what could be achieved. Although I have no interest in doing this myself, being able to etch a phone or laptop was cool. As was the sliced hanging globe. As a Games Store Owner, seeing the Catan board really sold me on it. The drawing on the material was also a nice touch.
I showed a few friends in the evening and then sat down with a work colleague the next day to throw around some ideas of how we could use this. It very quickly dawned that 5 minutes was not enough for all the ideas. I believe I bought the basic on that day. A few days later I upgraded to the pro after talking with an experienced modeller.
As I said above, discussed with some friends and colleagues. I also did a little research on the company and on Dan. I liked what I read and heard. I think Dan’s background and ethos made me trust the company (He’s got an honest face :D). I also looked at the alternatives to see how different this was.
As an international buyer I did a little research in import duty as well as the laser regulations in the UK. The unit was not cheap so I also looked at other equipment (like dye sublimation printing equipment) that we might also buy to see how this compared.
My work colleague and a friend who has a modelling degree and works in CGI modelling. They were both excited about the purchase and urged to me to do it.
I really want the experience to be user friendly. I’m not an experienced ‘maker’ but hope to be able to grow with the machine to develop things that I can use/sell in my game shop. We will be focusing on high end, customisable items.
Still waiting… but optimistic.

6 Likes

How did you see it?
I first seen the glow forge on a Facebook ad, most likely because I was searching for information on my cheap k40 laser I got on eBay at the time.

I first thought awesome, finally a laser that can show me the preview before the print to prevent the print from coming out wrong like my k40 laser. I also thought it would be nice not having to fix something after every print like the k40 as well.

It took me about a week and a half to decide to make the purchase.

I read everything I could find on it after I seen it on the facebook ad to make sure its what I wanted. First the glowforge website and all of its videos, then I went to youtube for info, which is where I got the referral code from, and finally just google search for any left over questions.

My wife and my family, basically about the cost and how often I would use it.

I hope to get a good working trace feature from the glow forge and will love the option to see where the print is suppose to land before printing. I also hope it is going to be a machine that will help bring in income on the side as well as a machine that I don’t have to consistently tinker with or fix after every print like I do with the k40 laser. I hope to get a better multi shade out come than the other one, the other one seems to only put out a dark outline or shade on each print. I also plan on using this mostly as a hobbyist machine, I enjoy making something out of nothing.

As of right now I am not sure, I am still waiting to get my machine in the mail. I am suppose to get my golden email tomorrow!!! So I am super hopeful for my email tomorrow and cannot wait for the machine to show up on my door step.

6 Likes