Finished: Tell us why you bought a Glowforge

I was in the middle of teaching a week long technical training course, pretty dry material to be honest. To keep it interesting, I try to learn what my students interests are. I had a very bright student who also had an interest in making movie props. During lunch he put the Glowforge promotional video on the projector.

I had been using a 3D printer for about 2 years. I realized one of the major differences was that the objects cut and engraved by the laser would need little or no post-production work.

By the end of lunch, I had checked to see if I could come up with the funds, and posted a link to the video on Facebook with the caption, “This may happen.”

The feedback on Facebook was very positive, and to say my friends encouraged me to make the purchase would be an understatement. I even had a friend of mine (@johnwills) talk himself into a preorder. He even managed to get in front of me in line, as it took a few days for me to get the cash together.

I had purchased an inexpensive laser from E-bay, so I could learn how the laser worked, and what it could do. It was difficult to run. They are put together in the cheapest way possible, and the software used to control it is ancient. Still the results with the cheap laser were pretty good when I could get it to run.

In comparison to the cheap laser, the Glowforge is a dream to run. The ability to preview where material is going to be cut/engraved saves a ton of time and money. Using the camera allows you to place cuts close together so there is very little waste left over. If you put a little time into it, all that remains is a thin lattice of scrap. The scrap
leftover from the cheap laser was more like Swiss cheese.
I’m currently producing parts for a short run of prototypes out of acrylic sheets. If I used the 3D printer to make this part it would take a little over an hour a piece. The Glowforge cuts and engraves the same piece in a little over 3 minutes. I would also need to spend a significant amount of time sanding and finishing the part if I made it on the 3D printer.

8 Likes

How did you see it?
It’s difficult to remember but I think I initially saw something on Tested about the Glowforge during the first few days of the crowdfunding campaign. That or I bumped into your website video somehow on You Tube. These things get sent to me occassionally by friends.

What did you first think?
The promo video astounded me with what could be achieved. Although I have no interest in doing this myself, being able to etch a phone or laptop was cool. As was the sliced hanging globe. As a Games Store Owner, seeing the Catan board really sold me on it. The drawing on the material was also a nice touch.
How long did it take you to decide?
I showed a few friends in the evening and then sat down with a work colleague the next day to throw around some ideas of how we could use this. It very quickly dawned that 5 minutes was not enough for all the ideas. I believe I bought the basic on that day. A few days later I upgraded to the pro after talking with an experienced modeller.
What, if any, reading did you do or discussions did you have before deciding?
As I said above, discussed with some friends and colleagues. I also did a little research on the company and on Dan. I liked what I read and heard. I think Dan’s background and ethos made me trust the company (He’s got an honest face :D). I also looked at the alternatives to see how different this was.
As an international buyer I did a little research in import duty as well as the laser regulations in the UK. The unit was not cheap so I also looked at other equipment (like dye sublimation printing equipment) that we might also buy to see how this compared.
Was anyone else a part of the decision?
My work colleague and a friend who has a modelling degree and works in CGI modelling. They were both excited about the purchase and urged to me to do it.
What do you hope to get from your Glowforge?
I really want the experience to be user friendly. I’m not an experienced ‘maker’ but hope to be able to grow with the machine to develop things that I can use/sell in my game shop. We will be focusing on high end, customisable items.
If the purchase was wildly successful, tell us why and how you feel about it!
Still waiting… but optimistic.

6 Likes

How did you see it?
I first seen the glow forge on a Facebook ad, most likely because I was searching for information on my cheap k40 laser I got on eBay at the time.

I first thought awesome, finally a laser that can show me the preview before the print to prevent the print from coming out wrong like my k40 laser. I also thought it would be nice not having to fix something after every print like the k40 as well.

It took me about a week and a half to decide to make the purchase.

I read everything I could find on it after I seen it on the facebook ad to make sure its what I wanted. First the glowforge website and all of its videos, then I went to youtube for info, which is where I got the referral code from, and finally just google search for any left over questions.

My wife and my family, basically about the cost and how often I would use it.

I hope to get a good working trace feature from the glow forge and will love the option to see where the print is suppose to land before printing. I also hope it is going to be a machine that will help bring in income on the side as well as a machine that I don’t have to consistently tinker with or fix after every print like I do with the k40 laser. I hope to get a better multi shade out come than the other one, the other one seems to only put out a dark outline or shade on each print. I also plan on using this mostly as a hobbyist machine, I enjoy making something out of nothing.

As of right now I am not sure, I am still waiting to get my machine in the mail. I am suppose to get my golden email tomorrow!!! So I am super hopeful for my email tomorrow and cannot wait for the machine to show up on my door step.

6 Likes

How did you see it?
I actually knew about it long before it was public. I was catching up with Tony Wright for coffee one day, and asked what he was up to these days. He talked about working with Dan and building an at-home, affordable laser cutter. I thought that was pretty much the coolest thing ever, and couldn’t wait to hear more about it.

I’ve always wanted a 3d printer, but never got one because I had no idea what I’d make with it. As soon as Tony started talking about a laser cutter, I had thirty ideas of things to do. It seems like a much more functional tool, with a lower learning curve to use. And also, tell 11 year old me I’d one day own a Class 4 Laser? He’d lose it. I always try to impress my 11 year old self.

When I saw the crowdfunding campaign announcement, I was actually traveling in South Africa. My girlfriend and I were driving from Durban to Drakensburg. I was frantically trying to load pages and put in my credit card, but it was taking forever on my 2G roaming data plan. After 30 or 40 minutes, my girlfriend looked at me and said “What are you doing on your phone over there?” to which I quickly replied “Uhhhh nothing!” I finally was able to purchase my Glowforge Pro, and I never looked back!

I had talked a bit with Tony, and I knew Dan, but other than that I just jumped in with both feet!

Nope - it was just me.

I want to use my Glowforge to help make experiences a little more special. A personalized souvenir for an event I run, a handmade gift for the holidays, a custom game for a friend’s birthday party. Add something to an experience that people without a Glowforge wouldn’t be able to do.

I’ve made so many things with my Glowforge, and I feel like I’m only scratching the surface of what’s possible. It’s incredible how quickly something can go from idea to cardboard prototype to a beautiful finished product on cherry or walnut and be hanging on your wall.

7 Likes

Browsing around the internet while my wife was visiting with her siblings in Taiwan, I stumbled across a link for a new “3D laser printer”. I had never thought about such a device before, but I watched the video and was greatly intrigued. Here was something that could help me add flourishing touches on wood working projects around the house, and make things that would not realistically be possible with conventional tools.

I searched the internet for laser cutters to find out the cost and capability, and none seemed a good match price and capability wise with the GlowForge. Still, it was a fat chunk of change. So I debated with myself about it for a day or so, whether to do it, and which model to get if I did, and finally decided to take the risk and go for a basic. I did not tell my wife over the almost 2 years I waited that I had ordered the machine. Good thing I didn’t, because she might have pressured me to bail after a couple of the delays. Instead, she learned about the machine after the first time I had made something. And she was inspired by its capabilities.

Since receiving my GF Pro (I upgraded last fall), I have put a small dent in the long project list I have accumulated over 2 years. I have made useful and decorative things for around the house, for parties, and made many gifts for friends, and made some items for different charitable organizations. More charity making is in the cards, and I will also be making things for our small business customers, as well. In time, I may do some custom projects for pay; all of the friends for whom I have made stuff have told me that I should.

I thoroughly love the machine, although my wife requests that I not spend so much time with my “mistress” during the week. But it usually gets a work out on Saturdays.

What is most compelling to me is that I can create unique gifts quickly and easily. When I make things for others, there are often tears because they are unexpected and personal things that you often can’t get in the store. The machine has already just about paid for itself in the appreciation I’ve received for those things

When problems arise around the house, I find myself asking – How can I use my GlowForge to fix that? Creating a whole new world, one Proofgrade board at a time.

7 Likes

First, being in the marketing trade this might conventionally disqualify my feedback, but I wish you and @Michelle all well, and hope you will get enough responses to establish some good qualitative research for establishing some different user profiles and behavior metrics. (But quantitatively balanced research may still be something, eventually, that you’ll want to budget for.) That said, here is my feedback.

I saw the Glowforge through its initial crowdfunding ad in Oct 2015 through social groups/conversations (FB/Twitter) related to crowdfunding and entrepreneurship, as well as chatting about “this new laser company” with fellow grad school alums (since entrepreneurship is a big emphasis) and folks at our local entrepreneurship incubation and launching group.

So that’s to say the good pitch production quality; clarity of a differentiating pitch (about what one can do with it to integrate into one’s life and creativity); attractive form factor (“Apple”-like); and the personality and involvement of Dan as a front man sold me on wanting to support him and the fellow team. I also could imagine right away projects I wanted to make—and even some projects that might help monetize it (also a good part of the pitch). You all seemed to be getting a good handle on not just hardware, but I respected the whole UX and user journey you envisioned.

Yet having been burned by some crowdfunding campaigns — it’s amazing how losing only $120 on products like ThingCharger can apply emotional leverage — I took about a year to see how the GF community was coming together and to really feel out and see if I wanted to buy in. So when the 2016 shipment window was sounding promising, I decided to take the leap. But in reality, when it didn’t materialize on time, based on what I had been valuing in making my decision, I still decided to stick with you all. Again, Dan was a part of the brand that I had started to trust.

It was still a big expense—which is a barrier more because I knew how expensive pro equipment can be, so had some doubts if a reliable product would result from a new company at a relatively fair (but still expensive) hobby price (not counting el cheapo “russian roulette” no-name equipment). The discount did help.

So I did some extra work to stash away “pocket money” for the purchase and surprised my wife and sons by buying it. They know there is a “new tech” charm to getting a new tool—but my wife said we also could have got my teenage son his first beater car for the cost. So it helped close the deal after delivery that I immediately helped create props for my wife’s job that she sees that I probably can help monetize this a bit professionally, too.

I liked the pitch for the ecosystem of having ready-to-print projects — and even a market where others could buy/sell plans. Kudos for the tasteful, curated “designer” look to many projects available there, but so far I’m underwhelmed at volume and cost/value. Honestly, I want plans delivered for more customizability for the kind of prices charged—otherwise I feel you need to rethink the value equation. Materials are expensive—though competively priced—and while a plan cost is time saved creating it oneself, and I don’t expect that necessarily all should be free (say with Proofgrade purchases), I still foresee regular desire to be creative and further customize, not just pop-and-print a project with a typeface or clip art stuck on it. The prices, generally, on there are too expensive to get me to buy in just for a baseline of the other work that will be needed. Thus, why not just create from scratch? Or go buy a less expensive plan off another site and then invest in the extra time/effort to customize it to my liking before printing?

I think the ecosystem is a potential for significant differentiation and making the user experience/journey really special. But overcoming the perceived cost of making mistakes (potentially high plan and material costs) is one obstacle. Another is that my family sees the extra effort it takes to learn and test (notwithstanding all that is objectively differentiated, improved and delivered so far). These obstacles may keep my less technical family from seeing it as “family equipment” and jumping in to use it like it were a convenient appliance for making things.

My wife was immediately disappointed she couldn’t put her iPhone into the forge, have it be recognized, and successfully engrave it. When I get oohs and ahs from friends and family who see this attractive equipment, what is needed is a more affordable and much more project-filled ecosystem that is create-consume integrated than what we yet have in order to sell them. Otherwise they see the forge as an attractive tool that a “creative type” like me would buy—like a hobbyist woodworker might get a new planer or saw, or a seamstress a new bells-and-whistles machine. (That said, they notice the versatility, flexibility, and fun I’m having taking an idea to relatively quickly having something in hand.)

Maybe it was naive, but I partly hoped that integrated UX product-project ecosystem is what would happen to really zing being in the “Glowforge family” — and maybe it still will — because that is the vision I took away from the original ad.

4 Likes
  • How did you see it? I am a frequent Kickstarter supporter when I was browsing the site on the last day of the campaign it popped up as a quick before its too late type deal. I have been eyeballing a home Laser for sometime before this. So after reading all the hype I figured I’d take the plunge. Reading Dan’s background and previous successes were what really drove me to take the plunge.
  • What did you first think? Well, I had been watching the forum daily for some time once I heard production started so I had a decent idea what to expect. However, I must say that once I got MINE, it was a totally different ball game. I was very impressed with the packaging, overall product design, and looks. I had no issue connecting and was cutting my first piece within 30 minutes.
  • How long did it take you to decide? I decided the first day, as I mentioned it was the last day of the campaign so I had to pull the trigger right away or pass. I spend the better part of that day doing research, watching what little video’s there were and weighing the risk/reward and clearly the risk was worth it. :slight_smile:
  • What, if any, reading did you do or discussions did you have before deciding? I had done a ton of research on other Laser engravers in the past, as I mentioned I had wanted one for a few years and they were just too expensive for a hobbyist. I knew what materials I wanted to cut, and mostly what projects I would use it for before I pulled the trigger. Now that I have it I find uses that I would never have imagined I would use it for.
  • Was anyone else a part of the decision? Yes, I talked it over with my wife but as I was paying for it with my portion of savings she was not super worried. Clearly with Kickstarter, the chance you could lose everything was a serious concern, and in the end, she decided if it was something I really wanted and I had done my research she supported the decision.
  • What do you hope to get from your Glowforge? First off Many, Many, (did I mention Many) years of service! But in the end, I hope that my GF allows me to do rapid prototyping and bring my visions/dreams/ideas from concept to reality quickly and cost efficiently. I am an inventor/tinker at heart and having the ability to take my dreams and bring them to physical form is invaluable!!
  • If the purchase was wildly successful, tell us why and how you feel about it! Well, to be honest at first I was super stoked about my decision. Then as time progressed I sort of forgot about the whole thing. With the delays etc. I kind of put it out of my mind the money was already spent and it would come when it came. As it got closer though that anticipation and excitement began to reemerge again. It was finally going to happen, I can remember telling my Wife and Family as there was a light at the end of the long tunnel. Overall I am still as glad today as I was on day one and am happy I made the decision I did.
5 Likes

Prior to hearing about Glowforge I had been interested in laser cutters for years, as an artist whose style is cutting up a variety of materials to different effects. I have had a few die cutting machines (Pazzles, KNK), which have limitations that laser cutters could address. However, the laser cutters available before GF were prohibitively expensive for what they could accomplish.

With that as background: I think I heard about the Glowforge via a report on TV- possibly on Bloomberg? Because of my prior interest I immediately looked into it further via Glowforge’s website and searching for other cutters available at that time. The first attraction was the cost, followed by the streamlined presentation and relative ease of use and finally the air filter. Basically it was the first laser cutter I’d seen that didn’t feel like it was intended solely for use in a warehouse. I decided to purchase relatively quickly after that, probably only waiting a few days. The product essentially met the needs I had already envisioned prior to its existence. (I made the decision on my own.)

Since that time, what I hope to get from the Glowforge has changed. Originally I wanted freedom from dealing with machines that drag a physical blade through materials. I cut a variety of materials from basic collage to heavy textured acrylic paint on canvas. The thickness and texture make blade cutting machines iffy, at best. As it turns out, laser cutters don’t help much since they need a predictable focal point and you need to be very clear what materials you’re vaporizing.

Now, I’ve been using the machine to engrave designs into wood blocks for hand printing and I will be ramping up testing on other processes with other materials in the near future as I’m sure it’s safe. (For instance, cutting the canvas into the shapes I need first, THEN painting it). Also, as bookbinding has become a greater part of my practice I hope to start incorporating hard wood covers for things.

So far I am happy with the purchase and while it has not replaced my KNK machine, it’s become a great complementary unit to use alongside other devices.

5 Likes

How did you see it?

I first heard about the Glowforge in one of the Maker blogs I follow (at this point, I honestly don’t recall which one), on or about Sep 24th.

I want one! At the time, my wife & I were members at the local makerspace. Having learned how to use their lasers (a K40 clone that could barely cut paper and a brand new 80W Rabbit), I quickly became frustrated with the shared space & access. All their 3D printers, CNCs, and laser cutters were always either broken, in-use, or covered with other users’ materials/projects. I had already bought a prosumer-grade 3D printer for home, and was keen to add precision cutting to my workshop. I had already decided that an Epilog or FSL laser wasn’t going to be feasible, so was looking into CNCs. The Carvey had just been announced, and we had seen a prototype Shaper Origin at BAMF '15, but neither product had been released. When I saw the original Glowforge video, I knew this was the machine I wanted in my shop.

I ordered my Basic + Filter on the 26th, less than two days after first hearing about them.

Having already used a couple of lasercutters, I ‘focused’ on learning everything I could about the Glowforge itself – specifications, materials, limitations, etc. I also researched Dan and the team that was building this amazing device. One of the many things that made the Glowforge appealing was the fact that while production was being funded by a pre-sale campaign, they were running it themselves. Had it been an actual Kickstarter, I probably wouldn’t have bought one.

Although I knew I wanted a Glowforge, my wife & I were in the middle of a basement remodel, so I didn’t think the timing was great. While taking a break a couple of days after seeing the video, I happened to mention it to her. She just said “show me.” She watched the video and immediately asked why I hadn’t ordered it already. A few minutes later, I did.

I bought the Glowforge as a “hobby” device, rather than as a commercial tool. For the past 10 months, I’ve been free to simply turn it on, load a design, and go. My Glowforge “just works,” which is what I wanted and expected. Along the way, there was a “return” on my investment that I didn’t anticipate – being part of the very active user community. Hundreds of Glowforge owners share their knowledge, skills, and expertise was an unexpected benefit!

I’ve been astounded by the variety of professional-looking items I’ve made. As retirement looms in the not-to-distant future, I’m looking forward to further exploring what I can 'forge!

8 Likes
How did you see it?

I first saw it via Kickstarter a few years ago. Then started seeing it on facebook.
I was skeptical, I was intrigued, I wanted one
2 years (What can I say, I’m a penny pincher)!
I kept an eye on the “Made on a Glowforge” forum for a very long time. After a year of showing my wife the “cool” things people were doing with the machine, she told me to “shut up and buy the thing already”.
As always, my wife!
I am hoping to make a side job of it. After just a few days of ownership (physically in my posession), I already have clients lining up!
The versatility and potential is so large, I cannot begin to put it into words.

Sidestory: My 4 years old son broke two of his penny pigs (he dropped the second one while getting it down to “deposit” the coins from the first). I decided to put the glowforge to the test. A few hours later I was printing a replacement penny pig out of cardboard!

5 Likes

Dan and Michelle,

It is all about getting a person to envision the excitement of ownership. A picture is worth a thousand words.

I purchased the GlowForge for the same reasons I purchased the camper shown in the photos below.

1. It’s High Tech-latest materials and technology

2. It’s easy to use-Bug Out of town or quickly engrave spectacular designs on wood and other materials

3. It’s Gorgeous-inside and out. It will take you places you have never been and do things you could not imagine doing with a laser.

4. It’s small but highly functional. Everything you need in a small package, sets up fast and automates cutting and engraving with Q-codes. On line “store files” that work easily.

5. Good specifications for its size and easy to maintain.

P.S. I was never very good with word length requirements. Took a course once where our entire year grade was based on a term paper, most people wrote books, some over 200 pagers. My ‘term paper’ was 2-1/4 pages.

4 Likes

Excellent Idea. (OK, I sense @michelle’s influence already) If the company uses any part of this, you can keep the $20 credit. Glowforge owes me nothing, it is I who is indebted.
I happened to be looking at lasers for a possible purchase, with a few considerations. The first hurdle was affordability. I just wanted into the arena. I had fantasized about having a laser since I first saw a piece of laser art on wood, maybe 45 years ago. I was astounded. That detail just wasn’t possible with any other tool. The problem was that tool was tens of thousands of dollars.

Having explored the options offered by the various manufacturers, I came away firmly tethered to reality - entry level for a quality U.S. built machine was still $8,000. Far out of reach.
I first saw a link to the pre-sales campaign for Glowforge on Google+ - that same day! I was in disbelief initially, so I read everything I could about this ticket to my dream. I had never participated in any crowd-funded, kickstarted or pre-sale anything before, and my old-school sense of self-preservation prevented me from clicking until the last hours of the campaign. I had many hard discussions with myself over the course of that week.
After giving my credit card info, I went upstairs and announced to my Wife I had just bought a laser.

There were less expensive alternatives from China, but I have taken the lesson that you get what you pay for. Here was a completely self-contained desktop laser, no buckets of water or external air pumps to contend with. A revolutionary browser-based interface that is drag and drop, and is accessible from either your phone, tablet or computer.

Since I was active on their forum, they recognized me as a perfect sample of their target market, someone who was intrigued with making laser art but was clueless about both Computer Numeric Control and lasers in general. The company gave me a Pre-release machine to use, and assess my ability to use it. They wanted to see what I might trip over.

Around twenty minutes after I opened the box and touched a laser for the first time in my life, I watched with the glee of a child on Christmas morning as the glowforge engraved and cut my first laser made object. At age 61 I had long forgotten what that felt like.
I used that pre-release machine for eight months, exploring its capability on every material I could think of.
For someone totally clueless like me, the innovations in the machine flattened the learning curve. The line of Proofgrade materials offered by the company with optimal settings programmed in and visually recognized by the machine’s camera enabled me to jump directly into successful laser engraving, without the need to learn - or even understand settings of power, speed and resolution.

Over the months with the pre-release, I witnessed the development of this machine as refinements were pushed to it by virtue of its connectivity. The first tool I ever owned that continued to evolve and improve after I bought it.

Well, I got so much more than I paid for. At 61 and forced to retire, I needed a direction and Glowforge gave me that and the inspiration to explore the creative aspects of myself that had been put aside when childhood was over and I needed to make a living.
This April will mark my first year owning a desktop laser, and I have been sculpting with a beam of light! That was science fiction in my lifetime.
I couldn’t be happier about taking a chance on this fledgling company. The founders assembled a team of weapons-grade intellect and tasked them with making this vision a reality. The payoff has been a tool that propagates imagination and creativity like no other I have ever owned. Dan knew this because he had one in his house, and he wanted me to have one too.

11 Likes

I saw the Glowforge on Facebook and decided to take a look at the site. I had been considering a 3D printer or an XCarve. I do a bit of woodworking around the house and to help my girls with their artistic endeavors. I was planning to buy a nice scroll saw and decided to put that money towards a Glowforge that would be able to do my scroll saw cutting and a whole lot more.

I showed the promotional video to my wife and she was sold. She’s a creative type. I was still a little apprehensive because of the cost but after thinking it over for a few weeks I went ahead and bought it.

I have been using it primarily as a hobby, but it has also come in handy with our side business. We have a few AirBnB properties and we have been able to customize lots of household items with our branding and information. It really does a beautiful job at etching and the whole workflow is very simple to perfect.

I am looking forward to creating and cutting more complex projects as I become more advanced with the design software. It’s been great so far.

6 Likes

On October 2, 2015 I received an email from my son titled “Something I saw and thought of you”, with a link to the Tested video with @dan about the Glowforge. My initial reaction was this is really cool and the preorder price was very reasonable. Having never invested in a crow funded project I needed to know this was not just some quack wanting to scam a bunch of people with what looked like a really cool idea. This led me to investigate the founders (Dan, Mark and Tony) through multiple sources to understand who these guys are and what they had done previously. Boy, was I blown away by each of their accomplishments and track records when it came to delivering results.

While I had wanted a laser cutter for years, I needed to decide if this was the right system for me. I had used other commercial lasers in a local maker space. These units were difficult to setup with complicated hardware and software and a price tag that was far more than I wanted to pay for personal use. After a week of watching the number of preorders grow, having checked out the founders and determining the system would work for almost everything I wanted to do, I placed my order on October 9, 2015.

Over the next 23 months, I dreamed about the things I would be able to make with the Glowforge. I shared thoughts and ideas with others on the Glowforge forum and talked to anyone who would listen about this amazing machine that I was going to get. On September 7, 2017, this note I had been waiting for finally arrived “Your Glowforge order is on its way”. The first unit I received did not work correctly and I was not able to complete any projects with it. While this sounds bad (and I was disappointed) the customer service provided was nothing less than amazing. They quickly determined the problem could not be fixed in field and had a new replacement system to me in less than a week. The system was quick and easy to setup and I completed my first project (the founders ruler) about 20 minutes after I started to unbox the unit.

While I still have not had the time to work on all of the projects on my wish list, that time is soon approaching as I plan to retire this year and spend lots of time with my Glowforge making amazing things. As a small example, I had a group of people to my house for a retreat and made leather key rings for all of them with the Glowforge.

5 Likes

I first heard about the Glowforge during the first week of crowdfunding/preorders. While I don’t remember exactly where I heard about it I remember that the news was spreading through makerspace mailing lists and Slacks like wildfire during dry season.

At that point I was pretty involved in a small Seattle-area makerspace and had was part of a team of local teachers that got a grant to research the implemention school makerspaces. The Glowforge was in some sense a dream come true because it was a way for small spaces or schools to get a laser etcher/cutter/printer that isn’t expensive and didn’t require extensive labor to maintain. Before Glowforge our choices were $10,000+ Epilog setups that were safe and supported, or cheaper lasers shipped from sketchy overseas manufacturers that provided no support and would make our lawyers / insurance underwriters unhappy, let along convincing everyone to let children around it. Neither great for non-profits.

And we knew that we wanted to bring lasers into the classroom as soon as we could; I’ve brought a lot of my students to a local makerspace and saw what it could look like first hand, and tghe promise of a Glowforge being kid-friendly so that we didn’t need a person who had 20 hours of training operating it would really enhance that experience. Unfortunately it doesn’t make sense for non-profit organizations to back a product that may not succeed and has effectively no delivery date.

Fortunately I’ve been personally working on a lot of projects that went into hiatus because a laser would be great for them but I couldn’t justify the per minute cost of renting a machine; more than that hauling projects 30 minutes back and forth from a space was a lot more effort than I could spend on them. Having a personal laser at home and being able to do everything in my own studio would be amazing, so I ended up getting one during week 2 of crowdfunding.

Backtracking to make sure I hit all the questions… My first thought was just jaw dropping “holy crap”. I mean, I’ve seen machines 5 to 10 times the cost of a Glowforge in action. The promise that this $2,000 machine would do that but better (with the limitation of a smaller cutting area) was bold and exciting. Of course, my second reaction was “wait this can’t be true”, because even back in 2015 I have backed enough failed projects to know better. Or did I?

I think I found out about Glowforge on day 2 or 3 of crowdfunding, and my preorder e-mail is dated 9/29 followed by Dan’s e-mail update on the first week of crowdfunding in a couple days… So I guess it look me a few days to decide?

I think part of why I decided so quickly was because I have already been doing a lot of research for professional and personal reasons, so I didn’t have to do much research on Glowforge competitors to make sure I’d be getting a great value. I did go through all the stuff on the GF site and some general literature on CO2 lasers. What really convinced me that it wasn’t going to flop thought were the videos of the prototypes already in continuous action at MakerFaire and the cancel any time promise. I mean, at worst, I’d be missing out on 0.005% interest for a year on $2,000 if I let that money sit in a savings account. So why not?

And I guess part of the reason I was really okay with this was because I didn’t need to talk to anyone before spending that much money or before deciding that I’d convert 1/4 my living room into a studio with a giant laser box thing in it. That of course doesn’t mean that I didn’t talk to anyone about the purchase. There were lots of “OMG OMG OMG I THINK I AM ORDERING A GLOWFORGE AHH” chatter among folks I knew. And actually now that I think about it there was a very important discussion that helped push me into buying one: the one where someone told me about the referral discount and gave me her referral code.

What I had hope to get out of my Glowforge is, really, just a way to accurately cut out small pieces of wood. I’m a simple girl who wants precision holes cut in her birch ply and then said birch ply cut into pieces that could then be reassembled. What I got was of course so much more. I haven’t even ordered a batch of cheap birch ply yet because I still haven’t gone through the Proofgrade stuff I got from the initial purchase and my referrals. I started playing with the Glowforge and coming up with more ideas than I have time to deal with. So yeah, this has been wildly successful.

I mean it’s not wildly commercially successful because I’ve not made a cent selling things I made with it yet. But that’s not really the fault of the forge and more that I don’t have the time to make listings for them. :slight_smile:

Final thing: you didn’t ask this but I thought I’d add this in: Knowing how these things worked I went in not expecting the GF to be delivered on time or even close to on time. I expected it to be delayed a year or maybe more. The delays were only mildly frustrating for me, and all of that evaporated when I saw how amazing the GF was compared to lasers I’ve worked with before.

6 Likes

I first heard of Glowforge from an Engadget article, I think. I was immediately sold. I’d been reading up on laser cutters, not with the intention of buying one, but just window-shopping and wishing. My wife is a cartoonist, and we travel to a lot of comic conventions to sell art and merchandise based on her characters. After discussing it with her, we decided that Glowforge would be perfect for making custom shelving and fixtures for our convention displays. An eight-foot table isn’t a whole lot of space, so we need to maximize it. We also need to be able to break down the fixtures to pack in our car or even on an airplane. Finally, the display elements must set up and break down fast, because we don’t have a lot of time before and after events. All this called for custom designs, and Glowforge looked like our key to that.

Glowforge has been wildly successful for us! Our convention season starts next weekend in Seattle with Emerald City Comicon, and we will be rocking it with beautiful shelves made from beautiful maple plywood and acrylic, sized perfectly for our books and emblazoned with our logo. I’ve also designed some boxes to display our art prints for browsing, and all this flat-packs and assembles in seconds without tools. Our table is going to look really sharp. Being professional and put-together is very important for attracting an audience in the color and chaos of a comic and pop-culture convention.

For the future, we’re looking at even making some painted and decorated products from draftboard, and even more display fixtures with a combination of Glowforge and 3D printed parts. I’ve even had interest from our independent artist friends to commission display elements for them.

In short — I love my Glowforge so very much! It’s really going to help us grow our business and succeed.

6 Likes

I read blogs. I been reading them for over 12 years. I still read one of the first major blogs boingboing every day along with other ones in" people of walmart". I know… I saw a post back in October of 2015 about the Glo:glowforge: and was intrigued. I already had a Silhouette Cameo and used it to make HTV T-shirts and I got in a Kickstarter 3d printer “YeeHaw”. , Saw another Kickstarter “Maslow CNC” and got into that. I am getting ready to retire and wanted another alternate income stream (s).

When I saw the Glowforge I thought it would be the best of all worlds, an indoor machine that also could cut in really great detail with minimal weeding. When I saw the video it was like magic. It was like no other laser cutter that I had ever seen. It looked like something that would do what I wanted to do. I live in a “tourist” locale and saw great potential with the 3d engrave. Some of the things I had in mind did not translate well into the 3d printer and were too delicate foe the MaslowCNC.

After seeing the site and the videos I show it to my better half, I was in a position to cover the cost and pulled the trigger.I told everyone I would have one by Christmas (boy, was I wrong). Everyone asked what I was going to do with one, and I said “First I wanted to do my Son’s Wedding stuff, then a/two hurricanes destroy that vision, then I want to augment my wife’s business, Uniform Apparel and do name tags, nameplates, signage, etc., but delivery is pushed again… Now it’s artifacts from the devastation" Now I’m not sure I’ve seen so many other’s visions I want to do it all!!!

This isn’t my first time in the crowd sourcing arena. I have three others that are going longer to presentation. I feel the vision is the value, Dan has been active all the time and forth worth. The forums allowed me to see the feedback from PRU’s and provided hope. Every day I see great things coming from all the :glowforge:'ers. I await my :glowforge: and :proofgrade: materials and hope to exceed the projects that I’ve seen here.

4 Likes

You all are AMAZING!!! Thank you so much for participating - we’ll read every one. We’ve got everything we need, so for now I’m going to close this topic. If you were working on a reply when this happened and got shut out by bad timing, send a note to support in the next hour and we’ll get your reply counted.

Thanks a million, and we’ll get those credits out to everyone who participated shortly.

6 Likes

Absolutely - thanks for checking.

Yes! We’ve got lots of quantitative data, but it can be numbers without soul - reading the 80 stories here gives us insight into everyone here that stats and data just can’t touch.

6 Likes