Finishing proofgrade leather?

Almost a week in with my new GF Plus. Addicted! Any ideas/tips to finish the proofgrade leather sample? I’ll be adding a clasp for this cuff/bracelet, but I’m not sure how to finish the leather to make it supple/soft and rich.

16 Likes

Looks very nice! There are all kinds of leather finishes available on Amazon. I think I used something from Fieblings.

5 Likes

I’ve had good luck with simple Kiwi shoe polish. More info here:

5 Likes

Don’t know the answer but your bracelet came out great! Do a search of the forum on “leather conditioning,” you’ll probably get lots of hits.

2 Likes

Thanks! I was trying to figure out search terms to help but wasn’t having much luck. Based on your comment I tried “leather conditioning” and got results. I also found out that “leather conditioner” had many more hits than “leather conditioning”.

1 Like

Thank you! I will take a look.

1 Like

Thank you!

Thank you! I will use that search term.

You can use any oil on leather to make it softer. I’ve even used Olive Oil in a pinch when I ran out of other things. Keep in mind a lot of oils will leave a smell. The best oil from your local produce store is usually Rive Bran Oil because it doesn’t have a smell. Another thing to keep in mind is that all oils will darken the leather.

An oil that is regarded as officially being used for leather work is Neatsfoot.

The only oil I’ve found that has almost no impact on the color of leather is Lexol Leather Deep Conditioner, but it can be expensive and hard to find.

It’s usually a good idea to lightly add oil in a few passes. If you over oil it there’s no real way to remove it.

3 Likes

Thank you! I ended up using coconut oil that I had on hand.