Fire suppression system (Glowforge Compatible)

This is an interesting bit of tech from XTool:

Basically it: detects fire → kills power → floods the laser compartment with CO2

It also lists as Glowforge compatible. Not sure if it requires any modification to the forge.

22 Likes

Hmmm…interesting.

9 Likes

If it actually works, would be nice to see Glowforge partner with them.

3 Likes

“Detect only unwanted fires” is a neat trick.

6 Likes

I have no use for one, or paying for the additional expense.

Cute gadget for those with deep pockets, or short attention spans.

4 Likes

Or those with $150 and a desire to protect their homes.

I’d get this in a millisecond if I were sure it works well.

5 Likes

I know two people, personally, that had major fires in their homes because they disregarded safety recommendations while charging LiPo batteries for radio control models.

I don’t disregard safety recommendations for both RC batteries, or my laser, so I have nothing to worry about.

4 Likes

Matter of people’s individual risk assessment and risk aversion levels. Mine’s lower than average. But higher than what it was when I was 2 decades younger(there are moments though still…)

I wouldn’t want to live with the levels of(trait) neuroticism that wanted me to jump at any and every safety mechanism known to man. However, think of all the ways things have been made acceptably safe by the compromise between the two sides. Having everything slapdash tossed together isn’t very acceptable either.

People have gotten lost and miss the importance of the conversation and actual compromise between to reasonable yet opposing positions these days.

3 Likes

very cool. thanks for the share

1 Like

Hrm… interesting that it’s been available since December and only has 10 claimed reviews. If it actually works well I can see this being very useful in a studio/office environment where the safety and liability officers get twitchy about having a laser around.

2 Likes

LTT just did an unboxing style vid(not a full review) for the xtool laser setup that this is supposed to be with. Tested a few of the safety measures like the flame detection. And simulated a full cardboard fire.

…and by simulated i mean they legit just blowtorch it.

3 Likes

thanks for sharing that. it had drifted right out of my head.

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.