First attempt at sign making

I was a little impatient in removing the paper, resulting in some smudging, but I was worried if the paint setup, the paper would be harder to remove.

Engrave, paint white, remove paper, paint black. Instant signage. :wink:

The exception text was a nod to the parents who commit the time to help their kids sell stuff for school or scouting. I have a heartā€¦just a little tired of ā€œIā€™m part of a program that sells magazine subscriptions that will haunt you for the rest of your life,ā€ sold buy teenagers that are pushy or impolite.

22 Likes

Hate to be ā€œthat guyā€ but you have an extra ā€˜gā€™ on your ā€˜withinā€™. Looks great though. I need one of these.

12 Likes

Glad someone else gets to be ā€œthat guyā€ for once. :slight_smile:

Despite the smudges, the sign looks really good! Nice job!

John

3 Likes

I send this to a friend of mine who just responded with the same observation. :smiley:

Better to ā€œthat guyā€ than to know you let me endure the ridicule of everyone who reads it when itā€™s mounted.

Just means i have the chance to do it again, a little more patiently. :wink:

12 Likes

Excellent! I need one of these and your wording is much better that my wife-vetoed ā€œexcept for Girl Scoutsā€ proposed language.

Iā€™m trying to follow your process, but stumbling when visualizing the last step. Iā€™m missing something important here, but honestly canā€™t figure out whatā€™s getting painted blackā€¦ Whatā€™s the material (looks like black acrylic)?

1 Like

it was clear acrylic. The text is engraved onto the back, and I paint white with the backing still applied. After the paint dries a bit, pull the backing, then spray paint the back with a black paint. as long as the white (in the engraved portions) has set up a bit, it shouldnā€™t run together.

4 Likes

Light bulb. (emphasis mine) Thanks!

3 Likes

Looks good, misspelling notwithstanding. :smile::+1:

It looks great! I wouldnā€™t waste it; Iā€™d just paint black over the ā€œg.ā€ Or maybe you can pick out the paint with a toothpick or pin, then fill in the letter with acrylic glue.

2 Likes

Better to make a small mistake on a little sign than be the sign painter painting one of those huge road signs for a small shop selling Cypress knees and other gimmicks to the tourists and in 15 foot high letters where everyone driving through the Florida Keys would see it

WE HAVE CYRESS KNEES ;;;;

3 Likes

I was lost too @dwardio. Thanks for being ā€œthat guyā€ that asked. I thought it was something that I just wasnā€™t visualizing

1 Like