First Big Project Finally Complete

Wife asked for an advent calendar, so I made an advent calendar. Took quite awhile to get the internal structure to fit like I wanted. (Thank God for prototyping in cardboard!)

There are 24 drawers and the top comes off the large present in the back for a 25th space. The sleigh, skids and drawer front are all basswood plywood and the presents and internals are all draft board. There is some walnut veneer on the front and backs of the sleigh.

The plates on the skids are to hide a seam as they were too big to cut in one piece.

Fake snow is from Hobby Lobby and mixed with Mod Podge for large clumps. I also sprayed some 77 adhesive over the top and sprinkled more snow on. Then coated the entire thing with glossy enamel.

Overall we are both happy how it turned out, even if it is a couple of days late :confused:

58 Likes

Awwww! The sled is a cute idea! :slightly_smiling_face:
(Sorry…sleigh.)

2 Likes

That turned out really nice.

1 Like

Beautiful! Nice job!

1 Like

I love it!

1 Like

I have to say, you sleighed that design.

Ok, I’ll see myself out

10 Likes

I see who is going to win husband of the year this year! Nice work!

1 Like

What a great design!

1 Like

You did a stellar job on that! It makes a great centerpiece and will be treasured for years to come.

3 Likes

That’s a gorgeous design!

2 Likes

Love it, very creative. My favorite part is the gift being one of the boxes. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is perfectlyl lovely. I love your design and the mechanics of how it works. Great job!

3 Likes

beautiful! Definitely a great build and love the finishing!

3 Likes

Very impressive! Love it, love it, love it! I’m sure your wife was thrilled!

nice work. beautiful.

Did you know that the “1st day of Christmas” is the 25th? The “12th day of Christmas” is Epiphany/12th Night in January?
So you could wait until the 13th - open 13 through 25, and then start counting down to from 12 to 1 singing a verse each time!
You’re not late, you’re trying something new! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Pretty sure I would get throat punched just for suggesting such a thing. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

8 Likes

That would be just about the time al the holliday bills would arrive, That would be a real Epiphany. :scream:

6 Likes

Love it!!

This is lovely.