First Consignment Job - Babylon 5 Box!

Muchos Gracias!

1 Like

You could cut through the outer box completely, and let the light brown of the inner box show through, like where you have the handles. That’d save you some painting. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good idea

2 Likes

Take a look at Rub N Buff for a metallic look. I just picked up the sample set but haven’t used it yet. A little bit goes a long way.

3 Likes

Wow! That turned out great! I’m just getting started on my GF, where would I find info about 3D engraving? Is that different from using a grayscale image to engrave? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Only slightly different at this point, from the machine perspective. You will use the “Vary Power” grayscale option, and need to use/build imagery that will work.

Take a glance at these two tutorials; based on what I’ve seen of your art, I think you will figure the idea out pretty quick.

You could also do a forum search for “3d depth map” to find more discussions.

3 Likes

Hmm, that actually all makes sense to me. I’ll have to test it out soon. multiple image layers would technically be multiple engrave passes, correct?

3 Likes

There are no words to describe how much I LOVE this project. Swoon…

2 Likes

I think of the ‘steps’ as ‘layers’ but they aren’t… they are Steps. Argh, terminology! So when you say “layers”…

Multiple steps in the GFUI would be different engrave passes, and could have different engrave parameters applied.

Layers in the design software are ignored, but vectors are separated by color, so multiple layers of a distinct color in AI are merged into a single step in the GFUI, and would be one engrave pass. Different colors in a vector program will be different steps in the GFUI.

Does that answer your question, or did I just confuse you?

3 Likes

Great box! I’m going to go as far as to say it’s worthy of its content. :slight_smile:

B5 is one of the best shows in the history of television. It did things no other show did for years and years to come. I met Bruce Boxleitner and actually had a chance to talk with him for a little while. He said that even at the time, even with how the show was handled, they knew it was something unique. That’s an understatement. I’ve watched the entire series multiple times over the years. I admit it… last ep makes me cry every time.

#HelloOldFriend

4 Likes

Yeah I was gonna use that, I bought some at one time but couldn’t find it…lol. Guess I need to build some organization next.

1 Like

Thank you! Those guys :point_up_2: lead you in the right direction. I used a grayscale bitmap for the box medallion. Settings were “Vary Power” in the menu and put my min power at 1. Then the settings were 600/Full

2 Likes

I am grateful for your likey-ness of the project.

2 Likes

Thankfulness abounds.

2 Likes

Duuuude… Thats freaking awesome!!

2 Likes

I always wonder if artists want any ideas. So if you don’t, I apologize… just say the word and I’ll never do it again!

In this case, my idea is… Maybe a sheet of veneer and engrave the proper B5 viewing order. And just sit it in there like the card that tells you what each chocolate contains. For me, I just printed up a sheet on paper years ago and it sits inside the box for S01. But you could do something great with that.

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

I am always down for ideas! I like the idea of “Extra Credit” for the customer that they wouldn’t expect.

3 Likes

I would do it but I am not versed in B5 magic secrets.

1 Like
4 Likes