First Custom Cut: Family Crest!

Hello all! I received my Glowforge a couple of weeks ago, but a lot of things have kept me from being able to get it up and running. Finally, tonight I was able to do my first laser cut! I started with the founders ruler (of course) but since everyone has seen that, I decided to cut a family crest I made for our family (The Eash Hershbergers).

One little mess up was that I had accidentally left two copies of the bottom left and top right wheat vectors on top of each other, so they didn’t show up. You live and you learn! Also, check out these tiny letters that were cut out of the center! An accidental bonus.

43 Likes

Really nice first project! I’m also totally enamored with all the ittybitty cutouts the GF makes. I’m still amazed how delicate they can be. Now you have a couple of weeks to make up for and must laser all the things! :smiley:

4 Likes

Pretty kewl! (And the little letters are too cute!) :sunglasses::+1:

3 Likes

Cool! Isn’t it nice how professional looking the Proofgrade material makes everything?

Trying to figure out the meaning of the symbols. Are there blacksmiths in your ancestry?

2 Likes

Very nice job so early on. I was showing a friend the GF cutting the ruler and he was impressed by the toothpicks that it cut out of the center of the ruler.

2 Likes

So my wife and I’s two last names are where the symbols come from: “Hershberger” is derived from deer and “Eash” we believe is from blacksmith, but nobody quote me on that one (not sure where I thought I had seen that, but now I can’t find that same meaning). The wheat also plays a significant part in our lives because she grew up on a farm and it was a theme in our wedding in 2010.

3 Likes

Me, too. I’ve kept all the cool looking ones, thinking that someday maybe I can glue them on something…or something :wink:

4 Likes

…or you end up with a [lasermade] box full of these bits and things that are too precious to repurpose…

If you make an acrylic box for them, then it’s like an hourglass that tracks your laser journey (instead of time). Displayable detritus

2 Likes

I like this idea, too. Most of my bits are tiny offcuts of acrylic, which are extra pretty, but many of them have never been weeded, so not as sparkly looking in a jar.

1 Like

oh, I like this! I’ve been keeping them in a gallon ziplock bag, it’s filling up fast.

1 Like

First of all, beautiful crest! Second, now I’m imagining how fun it would be to engrave a family crest on everything like a personal logo. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

My very first cut (after the little key chain thing) was a small dragon which produced very small “extras.” Went straight away to the freezer bag/zip lock section of my kitchen drawer and began saving all those little pieces for future use. Would never have thought of doing that if it wasn’t for the forum postings I kept reading while waiting for my miracle machine (GF)

3 Likes