First cut - doorbell button backplate

Honestly, this doesn’t look like a laser cutting project. Due to the concavity of the design, I’d be more apt to think about 3D modeling, and printing it.

Thanks! The same process can be used to duplicate the six main design elements as well if someone wanted more uniformity, but I think the hand-made or hard-worn/weathered appearance adds to it.

This is actually a perfect candidate for the laser, because very little time is needed to prep the file versus generating a model, and it’s a 20-30 minute engrave.

2 Likes

not only that, 3D printing limits you to the 3D printing materials. laser cutting allows you to do it in other materials.

2 Likes

It’s improving, I tried the rotate and increase contrast technique that @mpipes suggested, and it’s definitely better. I dodged and burned a bit to clean it up but it’s not there yet. I’m thinking of doing the outlines and main leaves on one pass and then having a second pass to add subtle texture on the leaves in the “back.” Anyway here’s my latest.

9 Likes

FYI I’ve been using Pixelmator on Mac - Which I have loved as an inexpensive and lightweight alternative to Photoshop. But now that I’m trying more detailed work involving masks I’m starting to find it woefully lacking in some ways - like there does not seem to be an ability to paste into a mask.

How are you with Illustrator? For a replicated design, I wonder if it wouldn’t be easier and faster to hand trace the two different design elements and replicate them accordingly?

Maybe try GIMP? It’s Open Source and while I’m more used to Photoshop, the past 8 years I havent been able to justify the expense so I’ve been using GIMP as a substitute. It’s fairly capable. They have Mac native versions too, which I’m using and no issues with stability.

2 Likes

I’m medium good - but I’m trying to use cheaper alternatives like Sketch.

I’ve almost got this just where I want it now - will have an update soon!

1 Like

Improved! I rotated, overlaid and did manual touch ups.

Instead of making up my own settings I tried the two default ones for medium maple.

On the left: engrave
On the right: light engrave

I know the “engrave” ended up looking lighter than the dark engrave - this might be because I rinsed it right after.

They both look great!

11 Likes