First design - Folding Dice Tower with hinge

Gloomhaven seems to be sold out everywhere around here but amazon, and there it is going for just south of 2x msrp. I saw it for $115-140 about two weeks ago but now it is hovering around $200.

Thanks for details on your table! Seems like a good solution. I’m on the fence between building one myself and going down the pre-made path…no real rush though.

Nice! Gloomhaven is a lot of fun! My gaming group has been playing more Pathfinder (hence the TV), and Massive Darkness recently (the minis in Massive Darkness are AWESOME).

I also use the TV to display board games like Talisman and Ticket to Ride (bigger board that way, plus the cool factor). Boardgamegeek.com has 4K images of a lot of board game surfaces, so getting a solid display isn’t too difficult.

My table has been a scratch build (stole the hinge idea from geek chic). I did install electrical outlets in each corner with USB ports so everyone can charge their devices. I will post a link to the tinkercad design I put together before building it once I get access to my PC.

I got the hinges from here:
http://www.leevalley.com/us/hardware/Page.aspx?p=40574&cat=3,43586,43589

I like the hinge…good idea.

This is the design for my gaming table:

Dimensions are in mm, but if you just treat them as inches then they should be accurate for US lumber. The only changes that I have made are that I used 1"x10" boards instead of 1"x8" around the outside to mount the shelves, and I made the legs 2" longer to compensate. I did this so that our laptops wouldn’t peek over the top, but in retrospect I would probably just stick with the 1"x8" (it feels a little too tall right now).

I wanted to laser cut the hinge mounts, but I am using 1 inch thick boards there, so I don’t know a good way to accomplish that with the GF. :frowning:

3 Likes

LOL!
If you keep the numbers and change directly from mm to inches it is going to be one giant table

What is this, a table for giants?

3 Likes

lol, if I remember correctly it was around 5 feet by 7 feet (maybe 8? On my cell so hard to verify). Gives the DM stations on the ends around 4 feet of “desk” to work with, and just under 3 feet for each of the four players. With two monitors in the DM station it is definitely not too much space (see pic above for reference :wink: ). Plus the slide out tables force a bit of a gap between the players, so the length works out well for our group.

1 Like

GIANTSLAYER. I mean… I’ve no idea what nerdery that is just by looking at the map. You nerds.

I might have just reached the castle in the 2nd book. shhh

2 Likes

Nice! Impressed that you recognized Uskroth’s tomb on sight! Have fun in Redlake Fort!

@jondallen, I’m actually quite jealous that you’ve begun your build of a gaming table. This has been on my list of things I’ve wanted to do for a few years now. I’ve got a similar set of plans that I drew up in Sketchup that I’ve just been kind of waiting on in order to build (I based my design on the Geek Chic Vizier table). How long has it taken to get to your current set up? I’m imagining that this project would take almost a year to complete.

With a topper on it, how good is it as a normal dinner table? Do you get crumbs in the crack between the topper and the “skirt”? Does it feel “high” for a normal dinner table? How much leg room do you have below it?

It actually went pretty quickly once I got started. A few weeks to get to this point (I started in early December, mostly while the kids were napping or in bed for the night). I paused when I found out my glowforge was on the way because I wanted to see if I could use it to accomplish a better hinge connection.

I don’t use it as a dining table, but have used it as a sort of buffet table for parties. I think it is a little bit tall for everyday dining, but usable now and then. We use a tablecloth to avoid crumb issues when not gaming (though I had a bit of a scare when my sister spilled a beer on the plexiglass while we were playing talisman the other day :frowning: ).

Leg room is decent, thigh height is a little tight for my larger friends, but no issues otherwise.

1 Like