First Edge Lit Sign: Star Map Night Light for Niece

Pretty pleased with my first edge lit sign. Realized after the fact that I misread my niece’s birthday so I will have to make a second one, but this one was great practice! Made on Proofgrade medium acrylic.

34 Likes

Looking good

3 Likes

It came out great! It’s not too late to salvage this one. Make a cardboard jig for the square shape, then make a vector line to slice the top off and add engravings of name and date to the sides.

3 Likes

We have all had those oops moments. nice first engrave.

3 Likes

Before the glowforge making a corrected sign would have been too difficult; changing Annabelle’s birthday would have been the only practical solution. But the miracle of easy to use lasers has just made these kind of oopses easy to fix. :grin:

4 Likes

Thanks for the advice to correct my mistake, everyone! Only trouble is, that star map was generated to mimic what the actual night sky looked like on that night from the city where she was born, and I used the incorrect date when generating it. It’s only a 10-day difference so the sky probably looked pretty similar, but I’d rather make a new one with the correct image. Plus I can keep the oopsie one as an example when offering custom orders! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hahaha! Good call!

1 Like

Lovely! This is one of my favorite applications of the acrylic lighted signs.

If you’re making it again anyway, consider rounding the corners slightly – right-angled acrylic corners can be painful/scratchy.

2 Likes

Thank you! I thought about that afterwards, too. Great minds think alike! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sorry you have to re-do for the date … but, a very fun project! Looks great!

2 Likes

Very cool! Just got my Glowforge and I want to make this for my granddaughter’s upcoming birthday. Where did you get the sky chart graphic?

1 Like