First inlay projects

that came out great. don’t see any gaps in there.

11 Likes

Beautifullly done! I just picked up some cutting boards so inlaying them may be in my future :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Looks great, and thank you for the detailed notes. Bookmarked.

I am surprised that you can just clean up/sand off the excess glue. I would assume it would soak right in to the wood and change the appearance. Obviously I know nothing about woodworking.

Does anyone know if there is wood veneer that’s made to look kind of like mother-of-pearl? Whitish with nice textures?

9 Likes

you can get actual abalone veneer from this fishing rod store (forget the name) search the forum. You can laser cut it!
Matt

9 Likes

Brilliant work!

10 Likes

There’s definitely mother-of-pearl/abalone veneer. I’ve never seen pearlescent wood, but if I wanted to create it I’d likely start with birds eye maple and a bleach wash.

10 Likes

I’ve seen the real deal veneer and do want to try it out, but thought it might be nice to have both in play, with the real stuff used more for accents.

9 Likes

beautiful job. I like the turtle best but both are fantastic looking.

9 Likes

Very nice work!!

9 Likes

Nice use of A.I., and the results are really great.

10 Likes

Stunning

7 Likes

Excellent execution. So fine and fit.

16 Likes

Thank you so much for taking the time to write up your process. These are amazing, and I’m in love with the turtle.

12 Likes

looks very nice! good work!

9 Likes

These turned out great! Thank you for sharing your process!

8 Likes

Those are beautiful. Thanks for sharing your process!

8 Likes

Many thanks for writing up the details of your workflow’ very useful. I especially like how the turtle came out.

7 Likes

Thanks so much for a great write-up on this! I’ve not tried to do inlays before.

Would you mind sharing your etch settings for power/speed? I realize that materials may differ, but it would be great to have a starting point to test with.

4 Likes

Depth is HIGHLY dependent on material so you will need to conduct your own tests, but here is a test on mahogany. 340 resolution, Power/speed. Hand written number is depth in thousandths of an inch:

Matt

10 Likes

Thanks so much, Matt! Now it’s off to the laser to try my luck. Really appreciate what you’ve done here!

7 Likes