First item I've sold - 3D lake map

I’ve had my GlowForge for just over 3 months or so and have been having a ton of fun learning new techniques.

A few weeks ago, I was commissioned to make a 3D lake depth map for a husband of a friend for a birthday present, so I did some quick math, gave them a number and set to work.

Having never done one before, it was a fun project to tackle. It is 7 layers deep, has an acrylic layer on top to protect it and the stain and clear coat of their choosing. Everyone thinks it has turned out great.

Here it is…

62 Likes

Perfect! That’s a great bathymetric map.

6 Likes

Excellent result!

4 Likes

Very nice.

What wood is the “top” layer? Doesn’t look like anything Proofgrade…

4 Likes

Thank you for the kind words…

All seven layers are 3mm BB ply from Woodpeckers. The top had some decent looking grain I thought would look nice when the poly was applied.

7 Likes

Never seen grain like that on BB. Did a finish of some kind bring it out, or was it naturally that way?

It goes so naturally with the concept of a terrain map.

7 Likes

After a bit of light sanding, I hit it with a few coats of spray on matte finish clear polyurethane…it also seems to make the water “look wet” when the light hits it

3 Likes

That is pretty awesome :slight_smile: had making one of these on my list forever but haven’t gotten that far down the list yet hehe. Congrats on the sale btw :+1:

6 Likes

Magnificent! Congratulations on your first sale; may you have many more.

4 Likes

I always love these types of maps! You did a great job and thanks for the tips!

I really need to try to make something like this since I love them so much…

3 Likes

Thanks again for the positive feedback…I really enjoyed the trial and error of making this…

I have heard from the purchaser that friends on other lakes might also be interested… :crossed_fingers:t4:

2 Likes

I think so too!

2 Likes

Looks fantastic! I’m sure she was thrilled to give it to him.

3 Likes

Really incredible!!!

1 Like

I agree with everyone!

4 Likes

Great job!

1 Like

Do you have a link to the wood? I’m not seeing it on Woodpeckers,

Where do you find your maps at for the lakes and depths? This turned out amazing!

2 Likes

The craft supply, not the woodworking supply. They also sell on Amazon.

1 Like

Eflyguy is correct, you can find it on amazon.

1 Like