First leather item - a purse!

Several months ago I asked my best friend if she would want me to make this particular purse (plans from Etsy) for her birthday. This project was so much bigger than I could have ever imagined! A lot of firsts (and frustration, and cussing. So much cussing.) went into the last month.
First, the original file was a PDF. The intention is that you print it out and tape it to the leather and hand cut everything. Unfortunately, the file was completely unusable for the GF the way it came. Which started a learning curve in Inkscape, a failed ā€œorderā€ at Fiverr, and finally a lovely man from Australia that finally got the file into shape that I could use. I learned about using the pass through to cut long pieces (thanks to some really helpful posts here I almost have my brain wrapped around what needs to happen), and settings for leather (especially how leather is NOT the same thickness all across the piece) and how to get rid of the soot.
There was also a crash course in leather working - oiling, dyeing, sealing, burnishing, blah, blah, blah. Iā€™m amazed Iā€™m still sane!
This was an epic labor of love for my best friend of nearly 30 years. Itā€™s not perfect but weā€™re not perfect either. Itā€™s all about the love! :slight_smile:

89 Likes

Gorgeous. Better than I could have done on my 100th try at a leather project.

5 Likes

I think it is great. The little crab is a nice touch too. I would be really proud of that if I had made it. :grinning:

4 Likes

This is stunningly beautifulā€¦no lie! I am SO impressed. You should be very proud and I canā€™t even imagine how pleased and honored your friend must be. If this is your first project, your subsequent ones are going to be over the top. Very nice work!

5 Likes

Weā€™re both cancers, so it seemed like the perfect little accent. I actually added it the second time I cut that piece but Iā€™m (kinda) glad I had the opportunity!

6 Likes

Yep, echoing what the others have said, that is just beautiful! (And ambitious for a first leather projectā€¦my first was a bracelet. Much easier!) :smile:

4 Likes

Ohmygosh, what an amazing job on this purse! It looks perfect to meā€”I would not change a thing.

Now, make one for yourself! You know you want one.

7 Likes

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!!! (<ā€” Complete sentence.)

6 Likes

Beautiful! Iā€™d like someone to give one of those to me for my birthday!

2 Likes

SO GOOD!! The little cutout accent on front and the etched crab on back immediately made me think of ā€œFiddler Crabā€ :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Beautiful leather bag, I love the unique style. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow! I am excited to see your second project because this first one is gorgeous.

3 Likes

:rofl: perfectly reasonable under pressure in a ā€˜trial by fireā€™.
You commit to the project, which requires an education. The first time you do something you have to accomplish both simultaneously. Especially difficult for a project like this with many aspects!
You paid dearly for your friendā€™s gift, but you keep the knowledge. Win-win. :sunglasses:
First class craftsmanship!

3 Likes

Which makes the best gifts every timeā€¦
Excellent job! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Great first job!

If you do more leather projects, suggest you get an edge beveler too. Steps up the look & feel, and well worth the investment (as was used on the strap leather).

6 Likes

4 Likes

Beautiful! Love the crab and the color.

Awesome job!!! I love it and I approve the cussing - only way to stay sane! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I think I saw your post about this on the Leather Patterns by dieselpunk facebook siteā€¦I have purchased a couple of his plans as well and was wondering how to do the conversion to a plan that is usable on the GF. Can you give any tips?

Sorry to post and dash guys. Beginning of the school year and an injured back kept me from coming back for way too long.
THANK YOU for your wonderful words of support! It was definitely an ambitious project, one that I might not have taken on if I knew then what I know now, but Iā€™m super glad I did it. Hopefully Iā€™ll have a chance to figure out my own pattern(s) before long!

1 Like