First Maple Wood Engraving

I think next time before taking off the mask I’m going to stain it, then take off the mask.

Enjoy!

15 Likes

Actually, you should try engraving without the mask. You’ll get a lot more of the fine detail that way. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have found that once an engrave opens the grain, thin paint tends to get wicked into the wood. I solved that by using an artist’s brush to paint the edges of the engrave with clear to seal the pores of the grain.

1 Like

Since it is :proofgrade: it already has masking and a finish so I would expect that only that part of the wood that no longer has that finish would absorb a water-based stain :smile:

I haven’t tried to stain the engraves yet, but even with PG wood, I would seal it with a clear coat before coloring or removing the mask. I just don’t know what that would do to the stain–probably nothing good or helpful. Regardless, that looks like an awesome cover for some kind of lesson manual, Brother. Maybe a wall hanging. :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.