First post - Ceramic Tile

Thank you . Is this your own files or is this something you found on GlowForge somewhere ? It sure is helpful .

It’s posted in the forum. I forget where since I bookmarked it.

Great tile work!

So… inspired by this and other threads on tile engraving and marking, i am here to contribute what I have learned.

I purchased 9"x12" ceramic tiles (approx $1.40 each when bought individually in Columbus Ohio) from Menards with a goal of engraving old patent plates into tiles.

My machine is a glowforge basic
Settings:. Full speed, full power, focused at .3"

I tried both 225lpi (which works and takes 1 hour) and 675lpi (which takes 2.5 hours, but looks and comes out fantastic). The pictured result is with 675lpi.

I tried the sharpie (both regular and oil based - liked regular better) method (good to great, but not really permanent), acrylic based paints (which came out poorly) a ‘enamel’ pain I bought from Blick which was absolutely the worst product i could imagine, and finally FolkArt Enamel, which is fantastic. It paints easy, wipes off easy and then can be baked in the oven to make permanent. I use a foam brush to apply and then sort of squeegee the paint away, wait for it to dry a little, then scrub off the unwanted bits with a dry or slightly damp paper towel. The results are amazing. The product costs $2.50-$3.00 a bottle and is available in many colors at Joanne Fabrics. Make sure you get the enamel if you do buy and try it.

Photos below:

16 Likes

I need some of this! Great project! Thank you for sharing!!!

2 Likes

Your tile looks great. Thanks for the write-up.

2 Likes

Oh that looks very sharp! Definitely need to try the enamels! :grinning:

1 Like

Fyi do not buy this product for this application. It was the first one I tried, and it didn’t hold it’s color in the lasered areas.

2 Likes

I love the enthusiasm of a first-time project creator. Though I’m still waiting for my GF, it’s nice knowing you don’t have to invest a lot of money (“cheapo 0.16”) to create something so “un-cheapo.” They look great. Congrats.

Michaels has them on sale about every other week.

https://www.michaels.com/folkart-enamel/M10352876.html?dwvar_M10352876_size=2%20oz&dwvar_M10352876_color=Wicker%20White

I picked up black, white, and silver. I haven’t been able to replicate your excellent results. The design I am trying might be too detailed for a small square tile.

@juliedodd89 - when yo9u say “already established engraving settings” - which ‘material’
setting did you use?

Custom settings are not to be discussed in this forum. They would be removed, or the whole thread moved to Beyond the Manual.

I apologize and did not realize, please disregard my asking then

This is SO helpful! Thank You!!!

Welcome to the show! Tiles look nice. You might want to read the threads on iron oxide and white paint methods