First Project: Acrylic Insets & Acrylic Glue Tips

Great job! I had some luck with increasing the size of my pieces by 1 or 2% but the only software I have that does this is the Silhouette Designer Edition.

2 Likes

Thanks! This sounds much easier than what I have been doing.

Cheap entry point, definitely going to try this out.

I work in Illustrator. I offset all my interior cuts by .18mm.

In my first, very simple, test cut I used circle, square, star and oval insets. The hard corner and more complex shapes fit snug at .17mm, but the round shapes needed .18 mm to stay put.

What I found, in this design, was that a few of the interior pieces to be a wee bit bigger than .18mm. But if I went too far- not only didn’t I derive benefit from a tight fit, the piece started to bow out.

1 Like

I really need to do some work in this area, and order the nontoxic Weld-On and whatever else is best (no epoxy or uv resin or anything like that for me). It’s something I have had on my list of things to work on but have not started yet! ugh. :smiley:

1 Like

Keep us up-to-date on what you find. I’d be really interested. I did not even know that there was a non-toxic Weld-On.

1 Like

Maybe I mispoke - I will have to refresh my memory to recall if one of them was nontoxic now because I am starting to get them mixed up. I think it was 4SC that I was looking at ordering but now that I look at it, that one doesn’t appear to be nontoxic.

This was a tough topic to research. Weld-on has two different websites. With the help of others, we finally identified the other site (the one that was not intuitive or easy to find). https://assemblyadhesives.com/

The resource that was found through this research is here:

Hope that helps if you need to figure out what will work best for you! :slight_smile:

The blue box shows the options that will work for cast acrylic pieces (with other cast acrylic pieces).

2 Likes

There is a really great UV light source that shows up every morning. I just leave the part sitting outside and it does a very nice job :sun_with_face:

1 Like

I love that idea! (Maybe not the most practical for us apartment dwellers though.) A few did that and we’re still frustrated with the results. (My husband says one needs restrict reading reviews on Amazon sometimes.)

1 Like

From what I was reading there may be some specific UV frequencies that work better than others depending on the specific chemistry of the material, So I figured out that the free source would have all of them :sun_with_face:

ps. you could experiment with the sunniest window even in an apartment.

4 Likes

You are so optimistic! :city_sunrise:

1 Like

I suppose there are many landlords that charge extra to be able to see the sun. I had friends that bought their places because they had a nice view of the ocean. Then when all the apartments had been sold he built another apartment and sold the same view again, while my friends ended up with a view of the narrow alley between :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I like my apartment. I just have to use led lights to keep my herbs alive and they currently have squatting rights to all of my, very crowed, windows.

I had a friend who was very excited that when she stood on a chair, in her breakfast room, she could see the lake.

3 Likes

Your friend will love it and you for being so thoughtful. She will never see the “tiny imperfections.” I can’t see anything wrong in the photo. Keep up the good work!

4 Likes

So sweet! Thank you!

1 Like

Morning! My resin supplies were delivered last night and I did a down & dirty test this morning. I was intentionally messy and haphazard as I applied it to a scrap sample. I found it easy to wipe/clean off, which was wonderful. It cured in less than three minutes, which was impressive. With care, and consideration, this should work beautifully.

Thanks for your help. It’s greatly appreciated.

@trually- it is definitely stinky and toxic. I still need to read through your info. I probably should be more concerned, but sometimes my drive to get things right overwhelms my common sense.

5 Likes

I understand.
I just a horrible reaction to epoxy (after using it a little bit for a few months, with PPE) that resulted in three Dr appts, lots of prescription meds and stern instructions to never use it again. I took me something like 3 or 3.5 months to recover. (I switched to crystalac and now have many of their products to use, but it doesn’t work in molds. But I’ve been too busy to work with it for a while.)

I hope you quickly figure out what will work for you!

3 Likes

I’ve used the Bo disc to fix cheap sunglasses and it worked very well. Just not cheap.

That looks awesome. I am also a beginner glowforger and I was looking for a solution to bonding acrylic to acrylic. I am still wondering what to purchase! I hope your future master peices are just as brilliant - well done you

2 Likes

Acrylic cement - something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/TENSOL-Acrylic-Adhesive-Perspex-Bonding/dp/B07G4Z1PFT/

It’s a liquid that will slide between the pieces of acrylic and chemically bond them permanently. Lovely stuff, easy to spill though!

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip! I lost a nearly full bottle from not tightening it enough.

1 Like