First sublimated mugs

I’ve also seen people take white oracal 651… laminate that… then sublimate on THAT… So it’s basically 3 layers, but you can sublimate on any color at that point as you are just sublimating white vinyl.

1 Like

If you get lamination sheets, just make sure it’s the thermal stuff and not the self-sticking kind.

Thanks, I would’ve confused that. A friend was just telling me how she makes stickers and she uses self sticking laminate…I think…that process was confusing too.

1 Like

Ok while I saw the laminate over oracal651 vinyl… I also just watched a video of someone who used oracal651 vinyl and just sublimation paper to sublimate a glass cutting board.

Apparently sublimating directly on the vinyl will pass the inks through the vinyl. So in the video he puts vinyl on the back of the cutting board. And after a little more than 2 minutes heat pressing the sublimation paper, it shows through the vinyl rather vividly.

About 80% of the video is this guy screwing up the vinyl… and another 60% of his kids screaming in the background… But the technique is probably worth the pain of watching.

2 Likes

My question is, why does he have his wife’s debit card there? Is she not allowed to use it? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

So I laminated and then cut a board. That worked rather well actually. However, when I went to sublimate a small keychain that I had cut with my easy press, the laminate moved about a quarter inch. It probably wouldn’t do that if it were a real heat press instead of the hand held thing, but regardless, it did. While I could have adjusted for that, I decided to try the polycrylic spray. The spray leaves a bit of a rough finish and given what you have to spray to get what I think is a decent coating, I think it’s probably a lot less cost effective than the laminate, but it probably won’t peel off which the laminate can.

Same keychain, just one engraved and one with sublimation on top of polycrylic.

Probably need to get a bit more spray on there. Some bits didn’t seem like it had much on it even though I had two coats on the side with the smaller logo.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.