First thing I tried on my Glowforge (a recycled cardboard crayon caddy)

Hi all, I’m a newly minted “forger” and thought I’d start logging the things I was able to make with my GF :glowforge: . Like many of you I have a ton of cardboard left over from my inevitable Amazon purchases. I also have a 6 year old who loves to draw and we have, markers, pens, crayons, pencils, glue sticks etc., everywhere. It was a chore to clean up every night. So I burned a caddy for her and I think it worked out okay. I didn’t even consider kerf at this point but it all fit quite well. 1/8" cardboard is really great test material and it’s free (more or less).

Nothing revolutionary. I doubled the thickness on the handle with the grain of the each cardboard layer going perpendicular to the other. I also liked showing the old marking of the Amazon boxes on the outside of the box. Here it is in use:

In the future I’ll make one with wider pockets in one row so I can put a bottle of white glue in. Otherwise it works quite well and my daughter is more conscious of organization now. Anyway, my modest first steps…

UPDATE: The svgs are here. I take no responsibility for their use. Use as you like, just don’t profit from it. Good luck.
Crayon Caddy SVGs.zip (8.4 KB)

78 Likes

Very nice first steps.

3 Likes

Very nice! :grinning:

3 Likes

@dklgood Thank you!

I could use a few of those myself for the growing collection of accessories I’ve bought to enhance my 'forging! :+1:

Nice work!

1 Like

@Jules Arigato!

2 Likes

Thank you @redshift - I can post the .svg if you like, thought it does not consider kerf at all. It’s cardboard and not necessarily 1/8" anyway so it should be okay, but just a friendly caveat.

7 Likes

Thank you for the offer! There is an existing assortment of caddies in the free laser designs files here, so it’s laziness as opposed to lack of a design file that’s in the way of my organization :wink:

1 Like

That’s really great! Surprising how well cardboard works, isn’t it? If nothing else it’s a great prototyping material.

Just the other day I had to make a “boot” for a pipe coming through part of a ceiling. Sure, I measured, but it was a tight squeeze and my measurements weren’t perfect. So I ran off 1 in cardboard first, saw where I was off a bit, and ran off my “real” one in Draftboard. I’ll be mounting it this week. Once painted, it should look great.

5 Likes

Sweet first project!

1 Like

Excellent job, and that doubling thickness with perpendicular grain concept is a great idea!

2 Likes

@Tom_A - Indeed, I am finding it to be a really great way to alpha before I move on to beta on draftboard. Can’t test kerf but at least it checks to see if I got the tabs right, which more often than not, I tend to goof on the first try. Good luck with the boot!

1 Like

Thank you @pubultrastar !

1 Like

Thanks, @cynd11 - I think they sell cardboard with perpendicular grain layers in Japan (lived there for 25 years before returning stateside) but I’ve not seen them here in San Francisco. I’m sure it’s around somewhere, I’m, just not resourceful enough.

4 Likes

We love form AND function. Maybe not gorgeous, but EXCELLENT execution. :sunglasses:

1 Like

An excellent design! I had not thought cardboard could be such a nice Job. I made a box of such boxes but all was plywood. Do you think it will survive being played with over time or just make more as needed?

3 Likes

@whitetigertooth - thank you!

Thank you, @rbtdanforth .

I guess that’s the beauty of it - my daughter can thrash it around and I won’t be too bothered by it since I can always make not only more, but better iterations of this idea.

2 Likes

Nice first project… good way to ge the creativity flowing!

2 Likes

@ChristyM - thank you! Indeed it is. Also to start to think in making three dimensional objects from “two dimensional” materials.

1 Like