First try at Etching Tile

Thanks to those who have gone before me, and posted here as it helped me to get the nerve to try etching tile. I used a cheap subway tile from Home Depot. The image is my own. I played around in Illustrator with outlining and expanding the paths and I really didn’t like what I was seeing, so I reverted to just converting the image to to an SVG with no Illustrator processing. I left it grayscale. I masked with blue tape.

It took 20 minutes at full power and full speed 1000, 450 LPI (CTD). Post engrave I used Artistro Acrylic paint marker black and then wiped it off with paper towel before completely dry. I painted with the mask still intact and then gently removed the mask as I was wiping it down. I am happy with the outcome. I will be trying more in the future!

35 Likes

Yeah, I’d be happy with that!

4 Likes

Yeah what @PrintToLaser said, nice result.

3 Likes

Beautiful image!

3 Likes

Cool image! Tiles are so satisfying…

3 Likes

Looks good!

Shifted to Beyond the Manual for non-Proofgrade settings.

4 Likes

That looks amazing! Great job.

3 Likes

thank you. I didn’t realize it should be in this category.

2 Likes

No worries! Glowforge only allows discussion of non-Proofgrade settings in the Beyond the Manual category for esoteric legal reasons.

2 Likes

Looks great.

3 Likes

You got such a lovely painterly effect in that etching that I’ve not seen before. Amazing!

2 Likes

Thank you. I forgot to include my original drawing. It is a pencil sketch, scanned into photoshop, and then I painted it digitally. The tile etching really did reflect the drawing quite well I think.

11 Likes

That’s gorgeous!

3 Likes

Thank you so much. That means so much to me. I am trying hard to find my art again, after having lost it to the corporate world. You’all are so kind. It gives me energy to keep moving forward.

6 Likes

Beautiful drawing! Many of us would love to have your ability.

Tile turned out amazing!

4 Likes

That drawing would look good engraved on almost any material. Good high-contrast image like that is a winner on leather, wood, acrylic, you name it.

2 Likes