First use of passthrough

Today I was making a set of seahorses as a gift. I wanted one in each type of PG plywood. I had a scrap of maple I wanted to use, but it was too close to the right side to fit. I was about to cut it down when I remembered, hey I have the passthrough slot!

49 Likes

I’ve been thinking that I couldn’t use the passthrough slot yet because I can’t poke out the back, but this post and another one today have made me realize that I don’t need both slots.

3 Likes

I also have the Pro with passthrough but haven’t used it yet because it is so easy to just 90 degree (or whatever angle you need) the drawing to fit on the material. At least in Inkscape.

You can also 90 degree in the GFUI. You have to hold down shift when you grab the rotate handle so that it’ll snap to 45 degree increments.

Unless you want the grain to run the other way, of course. Then the passthrough slot is really handy.

2 Likes

Yeah, I rotate to fit all the time. In this case it was more about orienting the wood away from the safe zone on the right edge.

2 Likes

I tend to just snap these types of scraps into pieces that will fit. (I bought a small band saw for cutting them into manageable rectangles and such, just haven’t set it up yet.)

Love the seahorse!

1 Like

Beautiful seahorses!
What is the BEST way to use the passthrough? I’m so hesitant to use it because my GF’s offset has messed up some jobs I’ve done and I can’t keep replacing material :frowning:

Thanks! – The only way I’ve used it so far is to access a part of the used board that I couldn’t access otherwise. In the case above if I placed the board in normally I couldn’t print the seahorse at that size as I’d be up against the GF boundary (right edge). By using the passthrough I could get closer to the edge (now the top edge in the middle of the print area). Of course, I could have just cut or broken down the board, but it was easier to just use the passthrough.

1 Like