Fit-O-Rator

I find that I am often picking stuff up off the ground to try in the laser.
Rocks and sticks and stuff like that.

I was sorting some of them into piles so I would be able to quickly find the ones that fit with the crumb-tray in place, and individual caliper measurements were taking too long on these weirdly-shaped objects. I thought about searching the forum for some solutions that I half-remembered seeing some time ago, but then realized it would be quicker to just make my own in AI.

If the Fit-O-Rator can eat it, it fits with the crumb-tray in place.*

If it can be of use to you, enjoy. Or if you just think it’s cute, that’s fine too.

FIT-O-RATOR

This is designed for ~ 3mm/Eighth-Inch material, and uses two 1"-long chicago screws with a diameter of .195" to avoid glue and keep everything aligned nicely.

Engrave black, cut blue, then cut red.

Since my material was a pinch shy of 1/8" and my screws were a pinch proud of 1", I ended up cutting one extra layer from a bit of scrap, for a total of nine layers.

*note: I was reminded that not everyone has the exact same clearance in their machines. Please measure your actual clearance and adjust the opening accordingly.

97 Likes

It’s adorable! :smile:

6 Likes

This is great. I’m definitely making one of these.

Everyone should remember to check their own clearance though. With my recent replacement machine, I actually can’t fit anything over .48" inches under the air assist, which is slightly less clearance than I had in my previous machine.

6 Likes

Good point! I’ll add that to the main post.

2 Likes

Nice Go-No-go gauge there! Good idea man, thanks!

6 Likes

Make the cutout between the legs 2 inches tall and then you have a quick way to see if something fits without the crumb tray in place too!

12 Likes

It’s the cutest Fitorator I’ve ever seen!

7 Likes

Do i need a Pro machine for this, or will it work on a plus ?
Honestly I am not even sure what this does. lol

2 Likes

Really cute piece. I will be making one.

3 Likes

It will work for any of the Glowforge models.

It is a quick gauge to check whether a piece will fit on the crumb tray and clear the laser head. The max height is 1/2 inch, so if your piece fits in this without interference it will be fine in the GF too.

3 Likes

I see the light, but not sure I understand how long it it is suppose to be ?

1 Like

That is totally hilarious and practical! I’ll be making this little beasty.

2 Likes

Fantastic! A very practical solution.

1 Like

I think adding measurements up the leg towards the top would be a great addition to see what height your working with. But ill be sure to be making this in the near future

1 Like

I didn’t bother with any ruled markings, since this is only meant for really rough sorting, but feel free to add your own (I would put them on the back side)

1 Like

The length was determined by the size of the Chicago screws that I had on hand. The width was arbitrary, but about the size of stuff I might pick up and put in my pocket or my bag.

1 Like

mean while I am building the largest one that looks like a Chinese warrior with no screws to fit. lol

1 Like

post a photo when it’s finished!

This is on my list for one of my first things to make when my GF arrives! :3 So cute and smart!

1 Like

I was definitely not expecting this! Great solution - thanks for sharing!

3 Likes