Flat work surface

Like most Forgers, I have many interests and hobbies and one thing they all have in common is the need for a perfectly flat work surface from time to time.

Whether it be assembly, design, masking, painting, etc, a hard flat easy to clean surface can be essential to clean consistent results.

So recently after a little research, I went to a local business that specializes in marble/granite countertops and was able to get several 2x3 and 3x3 pieces of granite and marble for free out of their scrap pile.

Now my projects are easier to work with and the end product is markedly better.

22 Likes

Great find! I have needed a surface that is easy to clean for the same reasons. I will have to look into this in my area.

4 Likes

If you can work with a smaller area, the larger hardware stores (Home Depot, Lowe’s, Menards) carry 12” marble tiles that might do.

6 Likes

I can’t remember the last time I didn’t use the lid of the machine to assemble projects that needed a flat surface. Glue scrapes off glass easily.

8 Likes

Contact a local tile person in your area—-they have the most incredible free scraps!!!

I once had the most incredible connection to get FREE granite from the cemetery and funeral home. This was before I owned my Glowforge. Eric once worked for a local funeral home that owned several local cemeteries —- we did get 3 at cost baby vaulted caskets. Our cost was less than $100 for 1. A grieving family would be paying well over $1000.

Unfortunately now all three caskets are buried in the backyard.

1 Like

That was what I was using before the granite.

1 Like

Congrats on the great find! That is a great tip. :+1:t3:

1 Like