Floor register

I noticed that our dog and cat both avoid this metal floor register when going in and out of the house to the attached sunroom. The openings are too big and catch their paws. Sometimes the puppers will even refuse to go out at all if I don’t open the door wide enough just to avoid stepping on it.

I used the Glowforge to cut this replacement register from some finished maple, with smaller openings for air to pass through that don’t hurt their paws.

The backside has a bit of 1/4" MDF (that happened to have a black melamine coating, scraps from another project) cut to fit the opening in the floor so the whole thing doesn’t shift in any direction.

They seem to appreciate it! The beneficiaries of this project – our scruffy 18 year old senior kitty Lucy

And Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy, aka Fitz

42 Likes

Fantastic!

10 Likes

There’s nothing that really beats practical things made with the GF. Home improvement made really fun and innovative.

13 Likes

Good thinking. Nice way to keep those babies safe.

8 Likes

Very nice, thank you for sharing.
I was thinking about making custom floor vents out of a dark wood. My only concern is how well the wood will hold up to the hot air and air conditioning coming out of the vents over time.
Thank you again for sharing.

5 Likes

should be fine over time. i made one for a wall vent out of draftboard and painted the same color as the wall. it’s been up since 2018 with no issues.

11 Likes

Good job! And your Lucy and Fitz are absolutely adorable!

3 Likes

Good for you, taking care of your fuzzy kids. Give them a hug & cuddle for me.

4 Likes

I love this!

3 Likes

Awesome! Is the flow through those holes equal to that of the old vent cover! It looks like it might be a tiny bit restrictive, but I don’t know how you’d measure that.

2 Likes

I’m 100% sure you’re right that it’s more restrictive, but there’s enough other wide open vents in that room and the rest of the floor that I don’t think it’ll cause a problem.

5 Likes

that was my concern. but if you have others in the same room, you’re likely just redistributing the air flow :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Great solution to protect the toe beans! I’m sure they appreciate it.

3 Likes

Awww, that was so nice of you to do for your babies!!! I’m sure they appreciate it! I always feel so bad when I see pups that are scared to walk across hardwood floors or go up and down steps that don’t have a backing to them. Never thought about the holes in the registers scaring them that they might fall in! :heart:

3 Likes