Floral Lined Leather Wallet

Still making wallets, but wanted to spice them up a little bit.

The forming calluses on my fingers are telling me that if I want to keep making these wallets, I’d better invest in a sewing machine. All hand stitched, couple of hours worth of work on that alone :crazy_face:

Oh, and this is what it looks like folded:

I’ve also created a nice way to visualize what these wallets can look like by creating layers in photoshop. I’ll deatil that process in a comment down below.

71 Likes

Simple and lovely! well done!

3 Likes

Your stitching is so precise!

2 Likes

Alright, so I went out and bought a bunch of fabric, and admittedly, I went a little overboard! I haven’t been in a fabric store since I was a kid, and to see the hundreds of options available was just so exciting. Grabbed what I thought I might eventually want to use, and brought them home. My mind’s eye is okay at visualizing what a wallet is going to look like with mix and match colors, but that doesn’t mean that everybody has the same ability, or that mine is perfect at it. Popped open Photoshop and made some layers to edit each section of a possible wallet. First I took pictures of each type of fabric I have:

Then I grabbed my design out of Illustrator and copied it over to Photoshop:

The thread lines are exaggerated, so that I can edit their color easily. With that, the basis of mixing and matching is ready to go. So say I wanted to make a wallet with the green japanese waves and cats. If I figure out what colors I’d like to test out, including the thread color, then I can come up with this:

Put this to the test and made the wallet up above, here’s the example of what I thought it would look like:

I grabbed a leather texture from google, that’s why this one looks so detailed

Gotta say, that’s pretty close. I eventually plan on adding a customization option like this to my website that I’ve been working on, so for this to be working so well feels great. Anyway, thanks for the support :grin:

25 Likes

That’s a great technique for visualization. Some folks (like my wife :slightly_smiling_face:) can’t see in their minds what something will look like. They need to see a rendered picture. Your technique makes it like catalog shopping.

8 Likes

Love the contrast! The pink flower fabric is my favorite.

4 Likes

I like the "surprise " of color on the inside. They look fantastic. :blush:

5 Likes

I really like your fabric linings! I’ll bet these wallets will be super popular—the lining sets your product apart from others’.

7 Likes

True, my wife is the same. I try to paint a picture with descriptions, but It doesn’t work. It’s frustrating to me that she can’t see it as I do. I’m the opposite, everything I do is from a mental image of my goal.
It occurred to me It takes her about the same amount of time for her to get “used to it” as I would spend trying to convince her she would like it and give me her blessing - so I learned to just do it.

8 Likes

Stunning!

3 Likes

That color add is what sets yours apart from everyone else’s!! Beautiful!

5 Likes

Beautiful work, and love your attention to detail and design! (the Japanese wave+cats is my favorite, too).

At first I thought you were using printed leather lining (there are sources for fun printed leather–but often thicker than what you want for a wall lining). Happy to share some names if you’re interested.

And for sewing machine–I have a Sun Star “industrial” machine that I invested in over 15 years ago when I decided I wanted to work with leather–I guess because of my garment sewing experience, I skipped hand sewing leather and right to the machine! Find a good shop that carries industrial machines and try some out–so many options out there (and get a governor and turn it low so easy to use–don’t need to run at 1000 stitches a minute!). I got my machine set up with a roller foot instead of the typical walking foot–it’s so much easier to do different shapes and even intricate applique work!

11 Likes

Outstanding!!!

4 Likes

I love them! I’ve been fiddling around with using lining in leather, too…haven’t gotten ‘there’ yet, but nice to see that you have.

5 Likes

Your wallets are so nice! Love them! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Terrific design! The leather does well with all types of fabric print! Nice work!

5 Likes

That pop of color on the inside is just fantastic! Well designed.

5 Likes

Oh wow those are great. Love the Harry Potter fabric! I’m getting Baader-Meinhof illusion with Hawaii all day! I have a tropical vacation on my mind I guess. :smile:

2 Likes

It’s that well-executed “surprise inside” that makes it pop. I love your work.

3 Likes

Well I live on Oahu, so if you’re seeing my posts, you’re definitely being persuaded to come visit :wink:

2 Likes