Foam?

Looking at no-no lists of materials to work with and cross-checking with the Glowforge website, I find I’m left completely confused at what foam and foam-based materials are and are not okay to cut and/or etch. Probably doesn’t help that there seems to be a multitude of types of foam based products out there.

I know some are a consideration of fumes and others can even damage the equipment.
Is there a list out there somewhere? Thanks in advance for any help.

Trotec has been in the business a pretty long time. Here is what they say. https://www.troteclaser.com/en-us/applications/foam-filter-mats/

4 Likes

There is such a variety out there that it would be very hard indeed to have a complete list.
The short answer is if you don’t know for sure, then make sure it doesn’t contain chlorine and then experiment with a damp cloth handy for a small flair up. You should already have a fire extinguisher nearby.

Some foams while safe just don’t cut worth a hoot. Others do great. I cut lots of Adams foam board which is one of the artboards that you see in stores everywhere. It is a eps core and does great, I check very closely before trying another brand because there are brands that look very similar that are PVC!

2 Likes

There are also lots of foam discussions on the forum, try searching for it and especially look for posts about EVA.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.