Folders, Folders, Folders!

I’m not sure if anyone has covered this before, but I would LOVE to have folders on my dashboard to organize my files! Some days I spend so much time searching for a certain file and folders would help so much! Just my 2cents!!

8 Likes

Welcome to the forum.
It has been requested since 2017.

13 Likes

Great idea, even if some people have mentioned it before :slight_smile: Unfortunately, Glowforge staff don’t read this forum regularly, so if you want your voice to be heard, email support@glowforge.com with your idea. If they hear it enough maybe they’ll finally do it.

Welcome, we love new people around here. I hope to see some of the things you make :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Thank you! I will definitely let them know! Have a good day!

6 Likes

By just about everyone on the forum. :grin:

12 Likes

All my designs and associated supporting files are nicely organized in folders - on my laptop. It takes a few seconds to upload anything I want to process.

The only files on my “dashboard” are test pieces for new materials, and all the random carp we can’t delete that nobody wants.

12 Likes

I knew I wouldn’t be the first one!! Lol. Thx!

3 Likes

This will never happen. What you see is what you get. Glowforge has no desire to spend a few bucks to improve the UI.

2 Likes

Great idea!! Thx!!!

1 Like

This is great workaround, but it’s not really a great solution for everyone. I access my GF from mutiple computers and also one at my makerspace from a machine that isn’t mine. Having all of my files in my account, no matter which machine I’m on, is one of the benefits of a cloud system for me.

And, although it’s just one extra step, it’s still more efficient to have the files already loaded and ready to go with my settings. Now, if you don’t have premium, you have no choice but to download things you don’t use constantly, but I pay for premium in part so I can keep the files handy without shuffling them back and forth from the app to my machine.

6 Likes

They improve the ui all the time, just not this.

6 Likes

At this point I’d be shocked to see folders. I’m one of those who has ask repeatedly.
The good news is the file names can be long so hash tagging things is easy.

6 Likes

You seem very critical of all things Glowforge. Is there something specific? As you know, there have been substantial improvements made to the Glowforge and its interface over the years.

7 Likes

Thx!!

1 Like

Yes, but it’s tough to watch such obvious oversight low-hanging fruit like folders and stuff never materialize. It took them years to offer color options (and imo they didn’t go far enough). The settings in the left sidebar in the UI are incomplete and impossible to see in one place – you have to click through so many times. The black bar nav links should open new tabs instead of taking you away from the workspace. There should be sound cues in the UI when jobs finish or require attention (as in passthrough). The list goes on and on.

Basically if the UI feature doesn’t generate money or prevent loss (like getting sued) they simply don’t do it. They have years of good suggestions and we have only seen the tiniest incremental increases. I love my GF and think they’re a group of good people, but there is so much room for improvement.

6 Likes

Have a good day.

1 Like

My comment was not directed at you (the one about being critical). Your folders request is legit and has been “in the hopper” since the beginning. My comment was to another user that has been broadly critical of Glowforge recently although he has been an owner for a while now.

2 Likes

Ha! Ok. All is well.

3 Likes

I am pretty critical of the company based on the steady decline of support and what I perceive as a decline in quality, plus how they have abandoned the community that effectively funded them at the start. That said, they have added many feature that were not part of the initial offering, and I’ve gotten close to 5 years out of my machine.

I don’t expect mine will last much longer and given it was only predicted to last 2 years, that’s fine with me.

2 Likes

I have never talked to anyone here who did NOT want to have folders or some way to organize their designs. :smiley:

Unfortunately at this point, the closest thing you can do to having folders is to bookmark each design and then organize your bookmarks in folders. I do like the recent change that organized designs with multiple pages, that turned out really nice.