Food safety and engraving

All,

I’ve looked around the community and haven’t really found the answer I’m looking for.

I see a lot of projects with engraving done on wooden spoons, cutting boards etc.

My question is, after engraving on a product that will be used for food, is there any work that needs to be done on the surface to make it food safe?

I’m sure it’s totally fine but I don’t know if there’s some considerations that should be made for cleaning or whatnot before using the tools.

2 Likes

The char and ash produced by the laser are no different than any other combustion product. Everything should get a good scrubbing at a minimum. I then give them a couple of coats of food-grade mineral oil (aka cutting board conditioner), repeating every few months.

3 Likes

Thank you, I had been wondering this also…

2 Likes

As with anything with nooks and crannies, critters can hide out and live on bits of food caught in there, but an occasional scrub with a bleach based soap will eat whatever is hiding out there and the oil will restore the wood

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.