Forged Business Cards

Ordered some of the wooden business card blanks from CardsofWood.com and tried them out. I got the aspen ones, they’re thin plastic laminated on both sides with a thin layer of aspen. A lot sturdier than i thought they would be. They are very hard to rip in two by hand.
I plan on re-arranging the words, adding more contact information, as well as a few more surfaces that can be engraved.

29 Likes

Oh those turned out very nicely! :grinning:

2 Likes

I just got a box in the mail of remnants I ordered from there for bookmarks. Please let me know what settings you used. I ordered cherry, walnut and koa. So far I only unwrapped the koa. Kind of wavy. I may have to save those for only cutting through or weight them down with magnets.

If i remember correctly, i used 70% speed, and 40% power. It seems to burn through the top layer of wood down to the plastic in the middle, but stops there.

3 Likes

Koa wood, nice! I’m constantly having people tell me I need to get some, because it’s really popular here (Hawaii). Unfortunately it’s really expensive and I’m not ready to jump into that range yet.

@ousniper I’ve been meaning to order/make business cards, so I’m really happy that you’ve found someone for me to test out. Your card came out great!

1 Like

The cards look great. Thank for the lead on material.

1 Like

Nice! Thank you for the link … will definitely be checking it out.

1 Like

The sales rep at Woodcraft told me about using a spray (which they sold) to flatten veneers, you coat the wood with it and press it between two pieces of flat material like MDF.

Here’s an article about the concept:

8 Likes

Thanks! This veneer though is sandwiched back to back with a plastic sheet between. Good to try though for non sandwiched veneer.

very nice! was wondering how durable they would be.

1 Like