Fortnight of Lasing

You are really going to town GF. I got the same table from Amazon and the height is perfect for me also,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074WL437T/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was lazy and went to Ikea and got their Alex set of draws. it has 6 draws measuring 23-1/2 by 16-3/4 inside.

3 Likes

Based on what we’ve seen so far, this isn’t just because it’s in beta. It seems that glowforge is resisting making GFUI anything more than the “slicer”/renderer/nester for the unit, and I agree with the decision. There are many, many fully featured options for image and vector editing, GFUI doesn’t need to be one of them. There are, however, many features and improvements that GF needs and should implement on the software side and I’m sure we will see them roll out in the coming years.

6 Likes

Love your risers, what a great idea. Would you be willing to post the svg for those?

1 Like

i agree, GF has never implied there would be image editing software in their interface. and, as far as i know, that’s not common in any laser cutter software.

1 Like

Nice work!
Just a tip, if you get that 90 degree kink out of your vent tube the machine will breathe better.
Nice outside finish on the window.

3 Likes

Your stand and drawers look perfect! Excellent work! Some great projects!

1 Like

Sure, I need to tweak the fit a little first and then I’ll share.

I understand and I’m not expecting this to turn into photoshop but was expecting some basics like dimensional position, horizontal/vertical flipping etc. I have figured out my workflow from Illustrator to GF and its only a few seconds to make changes so it’s not a huge deal, was just surprising.

Thanks. The picture is a little misleading. I was excited to finally get some pictures of the setup and didn’t quite get it all put back to where it was before working on the drawers. Normally it’s not like that but thanks for reminding me.

1 Like

You’re so kind. I was educated that it’s not forum etiquette to request files- apologies as I’m new to this and didn’t mean to offend! Just thought it was a nifty solution to a common problem.

S

No worries at all. I’m usually open with sharing files of stuff I make for myself. The customer projects are a different story.

But anything I make for the machine to enhance its function I plan to share when the files are ready. This is a great community and believe working together we can make some incredible stuff.

1 Like

Great start. Stay lasering my friend

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I don’t think any of these examples fall into the “image editing” category. You’re not editing the artwork itself, just it’s size and position - we should have these features.

I don’t think we’ll get dimensional positioning, though.

Blown away - your work is just amazing… i have mine two weeks as well - not nearly so productive … I like your solution to the 1/2 inch material… i have a bunch of off cuts from building a mahogany wall that are just a smidge over the height restriction. Think I’ll follow your lead and print the stands… I didn’t think of that… still getting used to the freedom I guess

1 Like

Fair enough. In my book flipping or rotating is editing the form of the image (3 DOF). Positioning (2 DOF) perhaps not. The other CNC cloud based UI that I use regularly has all of these features so I guess I had too high of expectations. Not that I would have let it necessarily influence my decision to buy it, this is why it would have been nice to see the software before you actually get the machine.

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like you’ve been busy making some awesome things over the last two weeks. Can’t wait to see what’s next!

1 Like

Wow… been real busy!

1 Like

Where did you get the window vent from? I am having a tough time finding a good, cheap solution for my GF.

We’ve been making them ourselves. Usually involves some 4" duct hardware (louver & blast gate) and some plywood.

3 Likes

Here is what I used from Lowes:

The vent has a single damper which closes well and the back draft damper to double up on preventing any outside air or bugs from coming in (I didn’t want to go the wastegate path). The pressure drop is negligible. There is a good amount of flow coming out. The inline damper fit nicely inside the Vent hood so I sandwiched the shelf board between the two and used clear silicone to add a bit of extra sealing.

I chose to do the laminate board as I don’t have to worry about it getting wet from rain. I used a foam gasket all around to seal the board to the window frame. No complaints so far. Hope this helps.

Outer Vent Hood (didn’t use the metal piece):
https://www.lowes.com/pd/IMPERIAL-4-in-Plastic-Hood-Dryer-Vent-Cap/3203015

Inline Damper:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/IMPERIAL-4-in-Plastic-Dryer-Vent-Draft-Blocker/3126471

Board:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Thermally-Fused-Laminate-0-625-in-D-x-36-in-L-x-15-75-in-W-White-Shelf-Board/50386826