Forum glitches while we enable https

Other side of https is that (except in case of some kind of serious hack) we know that glowforge is the site on the other side of our connection. This is not all that important for forums, but for things like the actual GF app it’s crucial.

This could even be a DNS problem.

Are you kidding?! You might want to look at a new bank while you’re looking for a new laptop. :wink: In all seriousness, I was shocked you said that and did a little research. I believe you’re mistaken. I just checked the top 30 banks in the US and they’re all secure. If your bank isn’t, I honestly suggest a new bank.

• Tom
5 Likes

Once the secure connection is established with a website (even if it was just for the login screen) the overhead of building that connection is over. there is very little additional over head for each page after the initial connection is established. Basically, if you’re going to secure the login page, you’ve already paid the price for security you might as well use it for everything on the site.

1 Like

What is the point in encrypting anything before I log in? It is just public information about the bank. Same as this site, it is just there on the web for anybody to see. I only have to log in to post or change my settings.

Mmmmm… I don’t think so. I mean, if you can get there, the address has resolved. Once you’re there, the cert is specifically tied to that domain name, so that can’t be different. As such, I don’t see how name resolution could be the problem.

• Tom

ADDITIONAL: Well, I guess if it couldn’t get to the CA to validate the cert. But, still, you’ve gotten to the original site via name, so DNS is working.

I’m presuming you’ve confirmed your bank does, in fact, encrypt all traffic. So that’s good! To answer your question, It’s so there’s no hijacking. You won’t end up somewhere you don’t belong. The bad parts of internet town. You won’t have malicious code injected. The site is secure.

• Tom
1 Like

Actually, Cyberfox is warning me this site is not secure. “Parts of this page are not secure (such as images)”.

That’s very common. Images, and other media, can come from other sites in order to build the page you’re viewing. Several companies put their images on Akamai, for example, because those services can provide that media world-wide, very quickly. (As opposed to, say, somebody in Shenzhen, China pulling media content from a site in Ohio, USA.) It’s really the smartest way to go with media that needs to be viewed over great distances. And that warning doesn’t necessarily mean the images aren’t secure. It means that the site’s cert doesn’t cover those images… because it doesn’t.

Hope that helps!

• Tom

I can’t access through chrome. getting a number of cdn 404 errors:

Only Chrome? Weird. Your Chrome up-to-date?
Otherwise, in Chrome, can you get to: https://cdn-origin-business2.discourse.org/login?

• Tom

nope… strangely enough chrome is throwing a 404 error hitting those files, so nothing will load. same computer with safari, no issues. trying to track down the cause.

Okay. Mac. I’ve gotta Think Different™ now…

Try this:

1. On the browser toolbar, click the Chrome menu icon.
  2. Select the More Tools link.
  3. Select the Clear browsing data link.
  4. In the data drop-down menu, select the time range where you want to clear browsing data.
  5. Select the Cookies and other site and plug-in data and Cached images and files checkboxes.
  6. Click the Clear Browsing Data button.

actually having the same issue on my PC desktop. something in chrome has decided it doesn’t like the discourse CDN. Ive disabled all of the extensions that would flag something like adblockers etc.

Its not really a cookie or browsing data issue though. Just getting 404s for some reason.

No problems with Chrome 54 on Ubuntu 16.04.

Well that doesn’t make sense. (Not you… Talking to myself.)
I’ve been on this site all night and all day from 2 different Win10 machines and 1 Android. All using Chrome. I didn’t have a single hiccup.

I can’t think of a good reason, but bounce your modem and router.
Otherwise I still stand by my original ‘clear your browser cache’ answer.

If it still doesn’t work… There’s gotta be some setting or extension you’re using in Chrome. Try running Chrome with –disable-extensions and see what happens.

• Tom
1 Like

Same issue on v54/55. Same issue on clean profile w/ no extensions. Really strange. At work so haven’t had time to really do any intense troubleshooting, but it is pretty annoying

That changes everything. If your company uses any WAN Op technology, Web Cache, or anything similar, you may not be pulling the most-recent data. However, any such WAN Op, etc. will eventually refresh the content or otherwise fall out of the cache. See what happens tomorrow or talk to your MIS department.

• Tom

Its not a network thing. I am generally on the forums at work, and I can VPN to multiple places and still have issues. I also had the same issue at home last night for the 5 minutes I attempted to get on. Different machine.

Also… safari works here. Its something with chrome blocking the CDN. I just don’t know what in chrome is doing that… I’ve disabled all extension and created a whole new profile with nothing on it, still the same problem.

It only appears to be half of the files as well. The other half I can access from the same CDN.

Ive seen similar posts on the discourse development board, but no real solution yet.

1 Like

Hello @takitus and @thomas.alessi.jr. I am having a similar issue as @takitus (so glad I am not the only one).

I am using macOS Sierra. I can log into the GF website, but not the forum in either Chrome or Firefox.

I can log into the forum using Safari.

I have made sure my browsers are up to date. macOS Sierra is up to date. I have cleared the caches. I have restarted my computer after doing so.

For now, for me, Safari it is. :upside_down: At least I have access through one.