Forum Moderation

Again, that’s a very difficult area. If people don’t know what’s stored on their computers, then why call them their computers in the first place? I would (and I do) very much want to know what any given piece of software is doing to my machine!

There’s an observation that if the people on one side of an issue respond to disagreement by walking away from the group, the only ones left will be on the other side. Consequently, this is not an effective way to advocate. That’s my post-hoc rationalization for not following through on my rage quit.

I want to respond further to some of these comments but I don’t think there is a middle ground here. Either saying “Actually the opposite is true” is a perma-ban-worthy violation of forum rules against “intellectual property” violations, or it isn’t. And if it isn’t, then the reason he was banned is that this forum has some people who are more equal than others and they used their influence to get rid of someone they don’t like. Regardless of what you believe, I believe we’re all dug in on this and no amount of discussion will change anyone’s mind.

Still, I think that’s what happened and I think that’s morally wrong. On the other hand… I really love gadgets. Probably pathologically. And my Glowforge is a truly excellent gadget that speaks to me on many levels. It’s a laser. I can make stuff with it. It offers endless opportunity for nerding out and attempting to achieve greater technical mastery. And participating in this forum feeds that. It’s a kind of bribe. Don’t rock the boat and you can keep getting your fix. So regardless of whether I stay or go, I’m going to end up itchy and irritable.

But as long as I’m here, it’s stuff like this that really gets to me:

That is simply false. I fail to see how the words “Actually the opposite is true” lay out anything. Several people on this very thread have described in far greater detail how to gain access to the SVG files from the catalog (which have no IP protections). Heck, your own sentence is an acknowledgement that it’s possible to do so, therefore you’re guilty of the same crime as @palmercr. Unless Glowforge bans half of the people participating in this discussion, it’s a tacit acknowledgement that they are not and do not intend to apply the so-called rules in a fair and consistent manner.

4 Likes

Eventually it’s probably something that Glowforge is going to address anyway. In the interim, I prefer to keep hanging around on the forum.

This isn’t really likely something that folks need to stress out over though - I know that in the event of an “Oopsie!” they’re going to notify the person who did it before it gets draconian. And most people are not trying to promote theft, they just might not think about all of the implications of what they are doing before they do it.

So just avoiding discussing the subject is easy enough until then, or provide a noncommittal answer if someone asks about it directly. A good reply is to simply suggest a method for modifying the file directly in the interface, since the usual need is for a modification. Most people don’t really care about the sausage making details.

And we’re in a very small minority. Most people don’t care or don’t have a clue as to to how these machines work - Apple made that praiseworthy in fact. They just care if it works. How it works and what it might do in order to work is of no more consequence to them than knowing what happens when they push the start button in the car (except that it starts). Most people would probably take offense at the suggestion that since they don’t know how their computer works it’s not theirs :slightly_smiling_face:

I going to put my full sentence there for you.

When he was suspended the first time, it was for posting detailed directions on how to get catalog files, unless I’m mis-remembering that. That post is now long deleted, for obvious reasons. If I am mis-remembering and he was suspended originally for a different reason, then I apologize.
However, I would prefer if you do not mis-quote/cherry pick my post to try to make your point.

2 Likes

What I observed, in the first instance, is he posted the actual SVG in the thread. Thus giving everyone access to the file (that includes non owners, anybody coming to the forum, with read-only access). He did later delete that file himself. It also wasn’t a catalog item but one of the files given to owners.

Adding link: Flipping a design (e.g., ruler)

1 Like

that actually is a catalog file. it’s just free for those who bought a GF.

1 Like

Really? I don’t see it for sale or “already purchased” in the catalog like I do for items I purchased there. I do totally agree it should be treated as such.

How is that relevant? We’re talking about the second, permanent suspension.

Seems like that’s what you’re doing by referring to a previous offense as the rationale for the current ban.

Because it’s showing potential repeated violations of the community standards.

I’m not Glowforge, but this seems like what happened.
He was suspended for a reason originally. He knew why he was suspended originally. Someone asked a question, which he could have ignored. Instead, he knowingly hinted at an exploit that would violate the same standard again. He was trying to put his toe over the line. This might be why he got permabanned.

2 Likes

You don’t need one… anyone is free to change their mind. Glad to see you decided to stick around to continue the dialogue. :slightly_smiling_face:

What I’ve noticed from over two years of dealing with these folks is that they are scrupulously careful about not playing favorites. If you have gathered the impression that some people are paid attention to more than others I fear you are very much mistaken.

I will grant that there are certain areas of the development of the machine and software that have been paid more attention up to this point - that’s normal for this kind of machine and software development, but in point of fact, that is going to change one of these days and maybe soon. As soon as it does, the attention and focus is going to shift to development of new options, technical improvements and a whole lot of other things that those of you who are more technically oriented are going to be needed for.

Sux that you guys have had to sit on your thumbs patiently for so long - but hang in there. When the time comes, your expertise and experience is going to be needed to improve the product for everyone.

Yes, it’s taken longer than anyone likes. But it’s a really good product that’s been worth the wait, IMO. There’s nothing we can do about how long it takes to get to the transition point though, so I don’t even have anything helpful to add at this point except… stick it out, your input is needed.

(And I generally don’t try to change people’s opinions, so I’ll leave it there.)

2 Likes

We can’t make rational decisions about how Glowforge executed the ban without knowing concretely, in writing from Glowforge itself the reason for the second ban. We can speculate all day long, but putting out “he got banned for this” like its a fact, when nobody but Glowforge and maaaaybe Palmer have the facts isn’t going to help anyone. Actually, come to think of it, isn’t stating opinion as fact against forum rules? :wink: So please stop it with the “It was clear why he got banned” nonsense, because contrary to popular belief, it is not clear due to the lack of information from Glowforge. Like I said waaay up there somewhere, its a pretty safe bet, but it sure isn’t clear

5 Likes

That’s fair. I’ll edit my post above to be clear that it’s my opinion and speculation.

1 Like

I think you could be a little more fair than that. Lots of boats have been rocked in these waters over the past few years and a total of one ban and one suspension (that we know of). Glowforge has allowed a ton of leeway for discussion on the forums they pay for. Dan and other staff have been openly insulted over the years - no punishment, no censoring (or very little censoring). Competing products as an alternative to waiting for the GF have been discussed openly - even with recommendations from Dan.

In what sense?

3 Likes

You’re right. I didn’t actually mean to imply that Glowforge was saying such a thing. I was referencing my internal dialog, something like the brain of an addict trying to make the case that robbing a liquor store is the right thing to do. Poor writing on my part.

Again, the previous poster used the phrase “circumvent IP protections”, and in my opinion it’s unfair to put it that way – this suggests that there are specific technical measures put into place to protect the catalog files from being saved. Obviously I’m at a disadvantage here to any further as I would risk a ban by talking about the details.

2 Likes

Probably just my interpretation of what I read.

Not trying to make you talk about particulars. I read it more as the files weren’t protected in the sense of copyright/IP. Same concept of right-click/Save As, I feel. The accessibility or inaccessibility of a native file, the amount of effort required to obtain a file doesn’t diminish the overall act of something. Know what I mean?

It’s all about context. Like I said, I was responding to the phrase “circumvent IP protection”. It doesn’t make any sense to talk about “circumventing” the default copyright assigned to an author of a work by the Berne Convention. Circumvention is a phrase used in connection with defeating technological protections. That’s why I find this whole argument so exasperating. A bunch of reasonable people are dropping context every second reply and talking past each other. I’m sure I’ve done that too. It’s long past the point where I’m helping anything, so I should really stop.

WHOAH, be careful! You literally just told people how to steal IP content, in direct contravention of the rules we have been discussing all afternoon. I don’t believe you deserve to get banned for this any more than palmercr did, but if the moderators are enforcing the rules, this is, if anything, a more blatant violation than his.

2 Likes

Because I actively encouraged it :roll_eyes: speaking of ignoring context…

I’d suggest re-reading Dan’s post on the matter since you want to be so particular about context. A slight difference between a vague “Right-click/Save As” statement in a thread such as this, versus a thread where someone is actively asking can we edit catalog files and someone replying with suggestions on how to accomplish that.

1 Like

You’re saying it’s ok for you to literally tell people exactly how to infringe intellectual property rights, as long as it’s unsolicited advice?

I’m curious to see how this plays out now that you have twice posted instructions for downloading and infringing others’ intellectual property rights. If it’s forbidden information, it’s forbidden information. I believe that it’s not about what was posted, it’s about who posted it, and I think this proves it.

1 Like

Well you quoted it so does that put you in the same camp?

Actually the situations are not the same - one was preceded by actual theft of IP and posting the file in a public forum. Followed by months of snarky references to that and then the latest posting. The other, not.

1 Like