Four Color Wood Block Print

Thank you.

1 Like

My family spent two years in Indonesia when I was very young. Since then I’ve been surrounded by batiks–some hand-drawn but most created with a tjap (chop).

I still have a few tjaps we brought back from Indonesia, both wooden and metal. In most of them, there’s a discrete element from a previous press that’s ‘missing’ in the last press. Apparently it’s easier to eyeball the placement of the small element in relation to its own design than to guess by looking at the top of the tjap. So long as you are square to your fabric, proper placement of the small element means proper placement within the overall design.

This is necessary because in most cases, the physical design pieces can’t be seen. The upper edge of the tjap hides what is below.

4 Likes

Even more impressive. Looks like a LOT of work went into it and the results are really clean.

3 Likes

Yes this is basically my strategy. I just have a couple of points that I use for alignment.

1 Like

Thank you.

1 Like

I have so wanted to do something like this. I have a letterpress but it needs trucks and holders. Someday. This is beautiful. A nice subject and great design. Good use of colors.

3 Likes

Thank you. I don’t have a press. I’ve been looking at an 8x8 one that works like a tortilla press (in case you know how those work), but it’s not a big area and I can do pretty well at that size without a press, though it’s more trouble.

3 Likes

I’ve also thought about using my 3D printers and the Glowforge to make a rolling press. Still so many possibilities.

3 Likes

Fantastic peacock! The colors you chose are amazing! Not sure I full get the process you are using either, but the results are spectacular! Can’t wait to see the next one!

1 Like

Oooo, that is really really nice. You always post the coolest projects!

3 Likes

I have been thinking about this too. Let me know if you actually start working on it. Maybe we can collaborate.

2 Likes

Thanks @cynd11 :heart:.

This is stunning! I have never thought about doing this. I need to add it to my list…. Thank you for sharing!!

1 Like

That is stunning, congrats for staying the course.

1 Like

Thank you. :blush:

Proper alignment made this really impressive. Great Job.

1 Like

The Indian block printers on You Tube make it look so easy! The key seems to be designing the shape of each block to line up with the previous printed layer. I also designed this so that there is an asymmetric white border between colors, so it doesn’t affect the design so much when I miss the mark. Anyway, thank you for noticing; alignment was surly the thing I thought about most in this project.

2 Likes

Next up:

:slight_smile:

Now that’s a printing rig!

8 Likes

Ive recently repurposed (of all things) a cheap panini press. It has parallel faces and a simple levered mechanism that I hope will give enough force.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking a tortilla press would actually help me in some cases… Would you mind showing us a picture of it?