Fractal Engraving

My primary art form is fractal rendering, so when a Glowforge showed up in the studio I had to experiment with adapting fractals to laser engraving. It took a few tries to figure out how to construct a monochrome fractal to use as an engraving layer, but I’m starting to get the hang of it. I found I definitely have to remove the protective paper on the top side of the wood I want to engrave, or the residue from the burnt glue gunks up the result too much. Engraving without the paper, then scrubbing with a tiny bit of soap, some water and a toothbrush seems to produce the cleanest results.

Here’s a couple of my attempts so far.

My most recent, with the cleanest engraves. 3D Engrave at 850 speed on PG Draftboard.

This is flatter than it looks at this angle, but that fine lacy texture feels wonderful to touch.

This one is not technically fractal, just my attempt to recreate a similar effect in a vector tool.

44 Likes

Those are awesome!

2 Likes

Wow, you are nailing it.

1 Like

These all came out great!

2 Likes

You had me a fractal! Amazing!

4 Likes

Those are really nice! I look forward to seeing where you go with these. I have a soft spot for fractals too, but I’m not as talented as you in designing them and had to rely on Google for mine.

12 Likes

I played a lot with Fractint back im my hippy daze…

4 Likes

Nice!

1 Like

One more success story, this time with quite a bit of complexity.

12 Likes

That is, indeed, a success!

1 Like

Beautiful!

1 Like

That’s awesome!

1 Like

Wow!