Fractal-Hedron

Inspired by @pubultrastar and greatly helped by the polyhedron templates from @geek2nurse I give you the Fractal-hedron:

I took a fractal pattern and mapped it to the faces of a dodecahedron. :slight_smile: Mostly this was just for fun to get a feel for putting them together, but I also came up with a nifty alignment tool:

It’s 2 pieces of 1/8 bb plywood. One is cut thin to the outer size of the faces and the other is wider and cut to contain the inner panels.

The frame fits snuggly over each of the faces.

Then just glue the cover in place and push it down into the frame.

Pull the frame up and things are nice and centered.

53 Likes

3D engraved or regular engrave? These hedron style projects always had my curiosity, but I never got around to one. Cool to see that there are still people tweaking and making them for themselves

9 Likes

3D engraved. I was mostly interested in the texture of it.

10 Likes

Nice result. The frame alignment tool is a great idea.

12 Likes

Awesome. Looks great!

10 Likes

Oo that alignment tool is slick. Well done.

11 Likes

Very nice! And great alignment tool there!

8 Likes

The 3D adds so much dimension and interest that makes it very unique. That is absolutely beautiful.

7 Likes

Niiiiice!

9 Likes

Way to go!

7 Likes

This is very cool, I love the pattern spreading out across the faces, the deep engrave is so effective!

7 Likes

Awesome! It must feel very interesting in the hands with all that texture. And the alignment tool is my favorite part. I’ve got a small collection of highly specific tools like that.

6 Likes

Nice job. Love that look!

5 Likes

love that alignment tool

5 Likes

Great work!

5 Likes

Fabulous! i did a very simple 3D engrave just to test it out. I liked it.

3 Likes

Nice job handling the alignments! Made for a fantastic turnout.

2 Likes