Framed Engraved Plaque with Chicago Screws

The plaque is composed of three layers held together with Chicago screws (Amazon link) because I’m terrible at using glue neatly. I keep several different lengths of Chicago screws to match the total thickness of the layers I use in a project.

Here the engraved middle section is 1/16" maple hardwood and the proud frame is 1/16" walnut hardwood. Both are from Ocooch Hardwoods, which sell 12"x24" pieces in some woods. I applied medium tack transfer tape to the wood with mixed results for the engraving. Some engraving caused the tape to lift, which didn’t effect the engraving but did cause some scorch marks. The Mr. Clean MagicEraser removed all of the marks easily!

The back layer is 1/8" Proofgrade Draft Board for stiffness.

Here is a PNG of the composed layers showing the how the screw holes align exactly:

and here is a test print I did to judge laser settings (speed/power) for the engrave on the maple hardwood (with transfer tape removed):

I stopped the print when I realized that speeds faster than 300 were going to be too light.

The lettering for the engrave is probably of less interest here. It’s done in Adobe Illustrator from a commercial font called Brilon and makes use of alternative glyphs, including compound letter combinations (CH, DO, RO).

27 Likes

The Chicago screws very much work there.

9 Likes

Looks great! I love the combination of woods, and the Chicago screws look nice, along with being functional. Well done.

8 Likes

That turned out really nice! Love the different woods. And that font really spiffs it up nicely!

5 Likes

Love it. The kerning on “don’t encroach” is :cook: :kiss:

7 Likes

Nice job! Nice engraving!

6 Likes

This turned out amazing!

6 Likes

Very nice!

5 Likes

Lovely plaque, and those are some good rules!

3 Likes