Framed my children's art

Look what the Shapiro family did this afternoon!

It’s black plexiglas frame, clear plexiglas protecting the art, then a plywood back.

28 Likes

Great idea…I’ve done custom laser cut matting to fit my kids art into a specific frame…but why buy a frame when you can just make your own custom size…lol
Nice watercolor effect btw…:grinning:

3 Likes

The wife has asked me about whether the Glowforge can do custom matting. Yes it can cut it. But I would imagine you can’t get the beveled look of professional matting and you will be left with charred edges?

1 Like

I’ll take pics of some of the ones I still have…yeah no beveled edge but you can engrave on them with masking then color fill etc.

6 Likes

Once you cut the matting, wouldn’t it just be a question of running a beveling tool along the inside edge? Personally, I’d need a jig to brace the tool against because straight cut isn’t something I can do, but again glowforge.

2 Likes

Yes you could do that but with the laaer you can cut out shapes into the matting and not be bound by just straight edges…

2 Likes

Are you another person who keeps staring at the world and thinking, that doesn’t have to be a rectangle? And FYI - those rounded edges, still a rectangle.

2 Likes

Lets move the conversation about cutting mat boards to a new topic…
Sorry @dan didn’t intend for my first comment to hijack your post…:grinning::grinning:
I started a new topic but cant figure out how to link it…lol give me a minute…

1 Like

Linked?

3 Likes

Thanks Joe!! :+1:

Most definitely…I like going way out of the box…Although l see the world in patterns and shapes…logic meets artistry…sometimes can be annoying and distracting though…I have alot of artistic friends and sometimes I wish I could turn off the logic part of my brain more…lol

2 Likes

Thanks@dan,
I have a souvenir from the '84 world’s fair that has needed a frame since, but nothing has inspired me, till now.
The item is a raster image of my wife and I, done on clear acrylic with a black piece to back it and make it stand out. Accomplished with a pointed stylus that would strike (hammer) the surface to different depths to achieve detail.
I discovered how edge lighting the acrylic made it pop, and had thought of doing a wooden frame - which would have been OK, but really didnt inspire me. Your acylic frame just solidified the project!
Thanks for the idea!
I imagine the kids anticipate your arrival so they can present their ideas and beg for authorization to push that big button! What’s the menu of materials Dad??
A laser that will trace their artwork, and they watch their idea become reality… magic for propagating imagination.

5 Likes

Very cool! Both the artwork and the frame / cover. I am really looking forward to making things like this.

3 Likes

Dan… You may have a laser, but your child has a gift :slight_smile:

6 Likes

This is what we did. My daughter was in Joseph for their spring musical this weekend. I added the school drama dept info and dates to the logo BMP and then etched it into the black acrylic. Once I cleaned off the plastic dust I “painted” each color band with glue before dusting it with glitter. Turned out to be a nice reminder of her last play in high school (she’s heading to college in the fall).

I made one for her director out of clear acrylic, mirror etched in the back and then lit by an LED strip in a base on the bottom.

Did a bunch of other stuff for the set using the laser to cut out complex patterns from MDF so we could backlight them.

11 Likes

How cool! Pro job.

1 Like

Very cool. Frames have been on my list of things to do when I get my GF. I have a lot of projects that need custom sizes.

What you did there…I see it!

2 Likes