Free "Block of Text" SVG Generator for Coasters, Signs, etc

I made a “Block of Text” SVG generator for making coasters and signs like this,

It’s implemented as a free Cuttle template where you can type any text and pick a font, sizing, etc.

Each line gets automatically resized to fit and it generates a Glowforge-optimized SVG.

block of text demo

It optionally adds blue score lines between letters.

It’s all one single, connected piece but the scores help the letters pop. (This uses Cuttle’s Weld And Score modifier.)

Finally, you can add +'s or -'s at the end of any line to make that line bigger or smaller. This can be useful to get the proportions of each line looking the way you like.

block of text plus

Here is the SVG from the top photo (“Laissez les bons temps rouler” :fleur_de_lis:) but of course it’s intended for you to make your own using the generator.

Coaster - LAISSEZ LES   BONS- TEMPS ROULER

Enjoy!

42 Likes

Thanks Toby! I love how you keep improving Cuttle. This is definitely a nice template.

14 Likes

Thanks Ellen! Glad you like it!

9 Likes

Oh that’s fab.

12 Likes

Thanks. Cuttle is really a time saver and just keeps getting better.

12 Likes

It’s very cool! I did get a bug in my example, though. Bug report submitted on Discord. It was just a spot where an overlap of letters was not converted to a score.

10 Likes

Fun tool, thank you. I tend do do things the hard way but I can definitely see myself using this.

10 Likes

Update: changing the line spacing to 0.001 fixes the problem, in case anybody else sees this.

9 Likes

@deirdrebeth @dklgood Glad you like it!

I think of Cuttle as a time saver which I can then use to do more design iterations. Like it’s not too hard to make these “by hand” just resizing some text if you’re proficient. But you wouldn’t be able to rapidly try out 20 different fonts that way without individually resizing the text for each iteration.

@cynd11 Ah yes, this is a known bug. Our boolean operations will sometimes glitch due to rounding errors. Often you can fix it by adjusting a parameter by a small (imperceptible) amount, like changing the spacing by .001. This will then put you on the “right side” of the rounding error and the glitch will go away.

It’s somewhat rare, but frustrating when this happens. It’s a very difficult bug for us to fix though :sob:

@GrooveStranger You’re welcome! For a font like the one in your example, you can also try decreasing the lineSpacing to a negative amount (like -1% or -2%) so that your lines overlap in more places.

13 Likes

This is great! I had just logged in today to see if there were any new generators. I love how you continually are adding things. Definitely a fan of Cuttle.

5 Likes

Okay, you just reminded me of an old Lost In Space episode with a “Super Android”. He says “CRUSH, KILL, DESTROY”.

4 Likes

Those A2s always were a bit twitchy.

3 Likes

Somewhat embarrassed to admit I remember that the android’s name was IDAK short for “Instant Destroyer and Killer.” Featured in two episodes and played by two different actors.

Can’t remember what I had for breakfast, but stupid trivia from childhood? No problem. :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

Another great addition!

3 Likes