Free Official Glowforge Designs?

You heard it right–the Catan board was drawn. He emphasized that no design software was used. But, looking at the template they’ve released, it seems they’ve either recreated the designs or used the file GF Cloud created from what the camera saw. (Too bad it doesn’t include the cool border tiles shown in the promo!!) http://glowforge.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/game-board.pdf

1 Like

Iirc there were some rights issues with the ones that went viral, so they drew these up explicitly to give away.

1 Like

Exactly right. And drawn. Happen to have the sheep at my desk…

6 Likes

Those border tiles she drew up are so choice. I’m really hoping that someone (with more artistic skill than me) draws up some similar ones and puts them on the catalog.

2 Likes

I think that because I am going to have to wait to between June and September 2016, and I have paid for my Glowforge upfront, I should have access to any new patterns and materials for learning this machine so when it gets here I am ready to role. I think other people should have access to all information relevant to designing and fabricating using Glowforge technology. This enable designers like myself to create designs that are ready for fabrication when we get our Glowforge. It also enables the company to offer more for the buck in the way of accessing designs for those utilizing the technology. You can offer designers a forum to sell designs or offer commission to all designers whose work is reviewed and approved. This is a win, win situation for your company because you are creating other streams of income based on your product, and you are getting more ideas from designers who utilize the technology. The more you offer in the way of using this product the more it becomes a desired item and demand increases.

1 Like

Having the catalog of materials and designs available even before all units are shipped would be a great thing. Most of the energy in the forum has been about getting the actual hardware shipped and ensuring that the user interface is ready to go. I haven’t noticed too much information about priorities, schedules and capability regarding the catalog. There are a few threads. Not much in the Q&A from 11/20. This post:

is from October 22. I have been doing a lot of research on materials, designing, and laser use to help me temper my anticipation and expectations around getting a Glowforge. I’d really like to have some materials and designs that I can just use right away. But, I see nothing that promises a working catalog concurrent with the shipping. The promise of cloud computing that is built into the price of the introductory offer seems to be for operating the forge and not design. There is uncertainty about this. I have no doubt that the catalog will rock. @dan’s comments about sourcing bespoke plywood tells me that they are definitely working on it. When will it go live, that’s not clear. I have thought about the catalog being a revenue stream, and wonder how much that was pitched to initial investors. But it doesn’t seem to me to be a core focus of the business, unlike the inkjet printer business model.

1 Like

I’m curious if you have a pencil drawing that is several different shades of grey could there be a setting that automatically engraved deeper based on light and dark intensity? A lot of my drawings are so detailed it would take a long time to assign areas with separate depth values.

Greyscale engraving is what that is referred to as. And it is in development (last update, mostly complete. But still did not have the power supplies to test it)

1 Like

The catalog was up and working for a few days around pre-order time. It then magically disappeared. I am guessing they didn’t mean for the url to be working yet. So I would expect to see it pop back into existence as real ship dates appear.

was that a catalogue or the list of things made on a glow forge promotional images?

I think what you’re referring to is the UI that drives the Glowforge, which has only been getting better. It has a list of recent prints that you can use.

1 Like

It looked like the catalog, though it’s been awhile so it very well may have been what Dan is suggesting. I thought I remembered a different subdomain for it and everything, but didn’t expect it to disappear either so wasn’t paying that much attention.

This is the first time I’ve seen the design of the Catan board shown in the marketing video, and I have a question. Aren’t the “any” ports (as opposed to the Wheat, Sheep, etc. ports) 3:1 instead of 2:1? I have the latest edition of the game, so maybe the older editions had different values. In any case, just thought I’d ask.

You are absolutely correct, and Guido gave me a hard time (very lightheartedly) about the typo.

I really want this!

@dan, is there a corrected version of the free Catan board? Now that I have my :glowforge: I’d really like to try this out! :grin:

2 Likes

Nothing yet!

1 Like

Ok, thanks.

1 Like

HA! I was just looking for this myself and found the 404 error when I clicked on the link :frowning:
Would love to be able to get the plan for the Catan Board.

2 Likes

I’m assuming it’s still ok to link this since it’s on Glowforge’s website, but feel free to remove it @dan if you want.

7 Likes