French Cleat Dowel Mounts

I’ve been on a wild tear adding french cleats to my workshop and garage walls. I’ve been experimenting with various designs and have pretty much settled on this design for mounting dowels (1/4" and 5/16").

Here’s a file with holes for both size dowels…
french cleat dowel mounts

You can easily fit eight of these on a single sheet of plywood.

BTW, this is one of those rare cases that I recommend using cheap 1/8" ply from the big box store – “GoofGrade” makes this project quite inexpensive – I can knock out 8 holders for ~$3.50 and 30 minutes of cutting.

Use at your own risk. Not for commercial use or resale.

55 Likes

Thanks Dennis, now I’m going to have to find some blank wall space to put up more cleats. :rofl:

3 Likes

Excellent practical cut. Thanks for the share.

2 Likes

Excellent design man. Thank you for sharing that neat piece of organization! (I like the laser-made mallets!)

5 Likes

Very nice! Thanks

3 Likes

These are fab, thanks for the share! Also love the mallets!

3 Likes

Wow!nice design and thanks for the share. That is a nice system!

2 Likes

Cool, thanks! Are French cleats always a standard size, or should we know what size cross piece fits these?

3 Likes

Great question - the vast majority of cleats are 3/4” thick. The height varies depending on the material used and personal preference. Given the price of plywood these days, I’ve switched to simply ripping pine 1x6s on my table saw set to 45°.

These holders will fit 3/4” cleats up to 3” high.

3 Likes

Wish I had more wall space in the garage, as this is awesome!

1 Like

Rather than designing a custom cleat for my 18ga brad nailer, I created a spacer that hold two of the dowel mounts exactly 3" apart (dowel center to center). Intentionally tight fit, requiring a few taps from a mallet to lock in place:

Here’s the file, if anyone’s interested. Super simple to modify for any length needed - just add or subtract from the middle of both spacers (do not scale!).

3in spacer

10 Likes

Really nice looking, & so practical. :raised_hands:t3: Thanks so much for sharing!

1 Like

Thank you, this will be useful.

2 Likes

That air strike is the best. Thanks for sharing

1 Like