French cleat wall storage

I’ve been looking at a few different ones over the last year. Just nailing down how we want to do ours. Thank you for the link though!

2 Likes

I love the whole concept of the french cleat and love that these walls are taking off. They do look a ton better than pegboard solutions and with the new technology we have it’s so easy to design modules for your personal stuff.

3 Likes

I see no reason you couldn’t use the same method that was used for creating dove tail joint (was that Jules?) But as you pointed out, it’d be more efficient to just use a table saw .

2 Likes

@mpipes . I just played with it a little. :slightly_smiling_face:

I do want to try the chisel method though for woods…the problem with engraving for a dovetail is the engraving process takes so damned long. It makes sense to use the laser to score and then chisel it off where possible. That part falls inside - it won’t be visible.

4 Likes

About 30 years ago, when I did occasional work for a local stately home, I was asked to hang a picture they had bought on a temporary support, as it was in the way of visitors. It was fairly large, about 10ft long and 6ft high !
Then they told me it was an Audobon, and cost them ~£1m.
No pressure then.
We put up a tower scaffold, and I bolted what I now discover is called a French cleat to the stone walls, and a corresponding strip across the back of the stretcher frame (The painting had no frame at that time.)
I insisted that no one else was in the room, while a colleague and I manhandled this painting up between the wall and the scaffolding, and dropped it onto the cleat.

No problem, job done.

:upside_down_face:

15 Likes

One thing that has impressed me about computer aided anything is that all the old rules are broken. What we did was limited much more by what was a great deal of work or impossible, than by what could be imagined. Now however what was a week’s worth of work can be done in minutes by a computer controlled device…

As a result my leaning is more about natural, Art Nouveau than more practical design that fit the far less flexible means of construction that could not match the flexibility of labor intensive hand work of that time that became frightfully expensive.

My mind is flying far faster than my fingers and I do not have access to a Glowforge to do even some of the designs flying through my head, and many of those may crash into the face of hard reality, but there should be plenty that will pass that hurdle…

4 Likes

Check this out… this is in my list.

What I love about this is that once the cleats are in place, you are only limited by your imagination on how to store a specific item. Slat wall seems to be the same concept and heck may be based on the idea.

7 Likes

Love it!

1 Like

Can’t see it! :disappointed_relieved:

Aww it’s also on pinterist (family handyman)

1 Like

Okay! (Cool!) :sunglasses:

Because I couldn’t resist:

In openscad. The blue pieces are filler, and of course you repeat this unit arbitrarily and lay another strip across the top. A little glue and presto.

5 Likes

Wow! This is the dream. Fantastic detail work - I can tell you put a lot of thought into this!

2 Likes

Oh, and duh, if you cut you filler pieces a bit wide or even with a bevel they support the 45-degree strip that does the real work. If only I didn’t have a pile of french cleat from when I did the woodshop. (Two courses, and some of the more serious cabinets need both.)

Wow…you are all getting me more excited about getting mine! I have an old pegboard and to make for better vertical storage…the cleats seem the way to go! Is there a way to learn the design software before getting the unit?

1 Like

The Glowforge interface doesn’t have design capabilities, other than allowing you to re-order operations and choose settings, and auto tracing ability. You will need to do the design in your own software. Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop are good for this, but there are free alternatives (Inkscape and Gimp for example) and cheaper alternatives, like Affinity Designer. Go to the Glowforge Tips and Tricks category to learn more about these and how they interface with Glowforge.

6 Likes

Great organization solution! That iPhone holder is an especially marketable design, if you were so inclined. Nice Work!

1 Like

This is wonderful. I want to make these. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow!

Thanks Cynd11! I really appreciate the direction. This will be very new to me!