I finally had some free time to fire up “Brigid” this Sunday!
Celtic knots with ravens and wolves seemed appropriate for the first prints from Brigid’s forge. (NOTE: I did not draw those knots. Art was found via google image searches.)
First up was the proofgrade draftboard. Beautiful - and surprisingly entertaining watching laser vaporize the draftboard.
Next up: Marble tiles. When I tried to scale up the prints and cut on the marble, the app kept crashing. I finally got the file to start, but scared myself when I mis-measured the marble tile at 3/8" depth… the printer head went through the motions of engraving but left nary a trace on the tiles. I was convinced I had killed her for that long 45 minutes.
Thanks to other community member posts, I also discovered the app was likely crashing because my files were too large. I sliced the ravens file into quarters, reconnected them in Inkscape, then ran that on proofgrade maple (5.5"x5.5"). Unfortunately, the reconnections looked smooth in Inkscape, but in the engraving, the intersections of the pieces were marked by darker, raised lines.
Final run of the evening was the original ravens knot file on a 4x4 marble tile. (4 passes, full power, full speed, 225 lines per inch).
It was worth the wait.