Fun mini project

Here’s the latest project I’ve done on the Glowforge as published in MAKE magazine. I write a regular column “Toy Inventor’s Notebook” which features a super simple, fast, and inexpensive toy-related DYI project.

In the current issue is this tiny attachment for a paper airplane that blows bubbles. Seems simple, but took a few iterations to optimize flying and bubble action. The design is symmetrical so that you can flip the part over and reinsert it in position into the cut out material and then engrave the other side — that makes the many groove that hold bubble solution. Still could use some tweaks on size/weight/number of bubble rings, etc.

38 Likes

Combining two toys in one - Win!

12 Likes

This is great! I love the photo that shows all the various design attempts in the background.

8 Likes

Very cool! :star_struck: What a great idea.

9 Likes

Everything’s better with bubbles. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

How well does the plane fly with a fully loaded bubble wand on the front? I feel like my paper airplane game is pretty strong, but I’m not sure it could hold up a bubble wand at the tip.

12 Likes

If anyone would like to expand their airplane game. :wink:

14 Likes

Love your Make articles, thanks for being here on this forum, too!

7 Likes

Would love to see video of it in action!

5 Likes

17 Likes

Eye opening experience from my youth: losing a paper airplane contest to a kid who wadded up his sheet of paper and chucked it farther than the rest of our planes managed to fly.

14 Likes

This is really cool!

1 Like

What a great idea!

1 Like

Wooh so cool.

1 Like

And exciting/ amazing that you work for Make!!!

1 Like