Fun sign with sublimation details

I made a 12" wood sign for a friend’s dog lead business. I don’t normally make signs, so I was pleased how this turned out.

The sign back and the girl are MDF, and the multi-colored bits are sublimated. (The process was; painted orange>masked>scored>weeded>spray paint one color using Ironlak paint>and repeat.) The sign was then given three coats of Krylon “triple thick” coating which really gave the sublimation nice depth and shine. I had screwed up painting the black lines on the girl because the paint bled, so a made another one and settled on leaving it the natural engraved color instead of having a nice, deep black. So I was happily surprised how rich the engraving came out with the clear coating, and you can’t tell it wasn’t painted.

Being able to sublimate the detailed parts was such a huge time saver versus having to paint them!
Sublimation details: Sublimated on 1/16" white cast acrylic. (No sprays/laminate needed.)
Three presses at 385 degrees for 20 seconds each with about a 10-15 second pause in between. (60 seconds total pressing time.)

75 Likes

Now that is top notch right there!

4 Likes

Wow! Very nice!!!

3 Likes

Lucky friend!

3 Likes

And off I go down the sublimation rabbit hole…

11 Likes

I keep thinking about getting into sublimation projects. This looks great.

6 Likes

really nice. I love the colors used in your piece

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum! Hope you like it here. We are always glad to see new members.

7 Likes

Beautiful work!

3 Likes

I love how bright and cheery this piece is! You folks with sublimation outfits are tempting me so much, but so far I’ve held off.

5 Likes

This looks spectacular!!

3 Likes

This is gorgeous!

I’m curious about your sub technique. Why did you press 3 times? The goal is to heat the ink so it turns to gas so I don’t understand why doing it 3 times serves you better than once. Does it release more ink? Make the acrylic less melty?

5 Likes

Yes, it prevents the acrylic from overheating and flattening and/or warping more. Just a few seconds pause between the presses with light pressure seems to do the trick and then I slide it out (still in the blowout paper) and put it between two cool tiles. It especially helped on the really thin stuff and I still got really good color.

9 Likes

Thanks! Good tip!

4 Likes

So impressive. The colors really pop!

3 Likes

Wow, this is stunning! Great job!

2 Likes

beautiful work!

1 Like

You do such great work and this just adds to the pizzazz! I’m so curious about sublimation, too…and this makes me wonder even more about it now. VERY nice!

4 Likes

Oooooo, sublimation + Glowforge= exciting new project ideas!! Thanks for sharing

1 Like

I have never heard of sublimation before can’t wait to learn more. Gorgeous work