Fun/Unique Acrylic Sources in the US?

I haven’t found any cool US stuff and I’d rather buy US made as well, but Imaterial (China) has free shipping to the US and Fusionsense (UK) is reasonable too.

I’m guessing you’ve seen them, but just in case…

https://www.etsy.com/listing/591040236/3mm-w804-true-abalone-acrylic-sheet?ref=shop_home_feat_3

4 Likes

Thank you! I just found some on AliExpress. :slight_smile:

I had a great time in Australia, but I don’t know if I’d go that far! They certainly did a great job hunting down the super fun acrylic, though. I have found most of it on AliExpress so perhaps the credit goes to the Chinese. :wink:

1 Like

And thank you for those listings. I’d rather buy from Etsy than AliExpress. :slight_smile: Looks like the prices are the same.

1 Like

How about the UK? Shipping to the US is decent.

https://www.rothkoandfrost.com/materials-c25/sheets-c26

2 Likes

Thank you! I browsed through and they look similar to the Etsy listings, but pricier and with higher shipping. Possibly faster, though, if someone had a rush need.

I’m a fan of the Canal Plastics pearls, they’re gorgeous and cut beautifully. Hopefully the link takes you where I mean for it to…

4 Likes

Thank you. I did eye those, but then wasn’t sure. I’ll add them to my list. :slight_smile:

Placed an order from iMaterials on Etsy and they shipped it right away. Then they sent a note to say that they had sent it in two separate packages to protect the materials. They’re off to a good start. If the thread isn’t closed, I’ll post again when they arrive.

Also, if anyone is interested, they told me I could mix and match from the sample sets. I didn’t this time around because it was too much work, but it’s a nice way to see/try a lot of different acrylic styles.

3 Likes

I am thinking about heating up all these bits I have and trying to make some crazy mottled version of plexi, might need to test heat settings outside first, yeah cutting it stinks up the house.

2 Likes

It’s the same because they could be the same sellers. Etsy is full of stuff bought on aliexpress and resold on etsy. While it may be handmade it’s not handmade by the seller which is a huge problem with the new etsy.

1 Like

Yeah, in this case the vendor is on aliexpress and on Etsy. Since Etsy did away with their materials marketplace (which I thought was fantastic), I don’t mind things like this on there. I have a problem with finished products that aren’t handmade, though.

3 Likes

The packages arrived… Just over a week from China! Unfortunately, I just left for a long weekend in Quebec so I haven’t seen them yet.

1 Like

Very quick shipping indeed! Let us know how they look when ya get home.

1 Like

The acrylic is stunning (and I was shocked by how quickly they arrived), but I do have some comments I’ll share below.

Here are a few of the mineral crystal samples:

And some of the ripple glitter. These are my favorites… they are gorgeous in person.

They have a great textured appearance, but they are completely smooth. The design is only on one side. These are roughly 4" samples and they clearly aren’t treated quite as well as full-size sheets.

The downsides:

• There is no masking and some of the samples have scratches and very minor chipping along the edges. I did order a regular size sheet of the iridescent acrylic and it has the plastic masking.
  • Because these are samples, they have sticker labels with the color. The stickers don’t peel off easily (to put it mildly) and without masking, it’s going to be nearly impossible to remove without damage. I wish they were on the back at least.
  • They are packaged together in cardboard boxes that aren’t thin, but aren’t shipping weight, either. These are then placed in bubble mailers. Mine arrived OK (other than what I mentioned above), but there seems like potential for more damage. The set with scratches don’t completely fill their box, so they had extra room to move around.
9 Likes

Thanks for the photos - now I want some!

1 Like

What does the back look like? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I paired each pattern with one in a similar color scheme, but they are not the same patterns. Front on the left, back on the right. The backs don’t look bad, but they don’t look like a finish design, either. Some are better than others. The bottom left is probably the best, where the bottom right is the worst.

For more comparison, the bottom right is the one that says Ocean above. The upper tile is the Sky Blue from above. And the bottom left is the darker purple in the first picture above.

4 Likes

The backs look like a totally different piece. I would think that the difference could be used to your advantage, like having 2 types of acrylic in one. Thanks for showing the backs. :grinning:

4 Likes

I’m not sure you’d want most of them highlighted, but they will look fine on the back.

I definitely want more of the samples at some point. They’re going to be fun to play with.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.