Fun with shadow boxes

In the last months I have been making shadow boxes in different sizes, varying number of layers, with LED light or paper in different colors. Very popular gifts for when my children are invited to birthday parties.
Because I love these boxes and use Gallery - Boxes.py I wanted to share my work process.
I tested different box designs and endet up with a simple box with flex at the edges and an extra frame in the front to cover the finger joints. I used 3 and 4mm plywppd, 2mm acryll, USB LED-strings. 250-300 gr paper.Light diffusing paper as last layer. Designs bought om Etsy.

I cut space holders in plywood to use between layers.

Lighting is placed on the back wall according to the image

Birthday production:

Here the svg file of the smallest frame:
Shadow_Box_144_178mm_3mm

80 Likes

I really like the one with the floating head and then the diving one. Thank you for the frame file!

2 Likes

I love light box art, nicely done!

3 Likes

These are really cool! Thanks for the share!

4 Likes

these are awesome!

2 Likes

A very nice share! and fantastic creativity in the designs. One thing I experimented with was engraving the plywood with the shape you see on the outside of the living hinge through all but the last layer on what will be the inside of the design. That way instead of being closed on the inside and the outside stretched, the outside is clean and the inside is compressed.
:grin:
Edit : Found the images

10 Likes

Thank you for sharing your work process. I am certain it will help many of us. Gratitude also for the file. I can see why your kids might get invited to lots of parties.

4 Likes

Oh, these are awesome! What a fun birthday gift idea! Thank you for sharing the photos and your file.

4 Likes

These are so cool!

Thank you for sharing!

3 Likes

I love the adventure storyline one, it kind of reminds me of Donkey Kong meets Lord of the Rings :joy_cat::heart_eyes_cat::joy_cat:

3 Likes

Wow that looks really great. I guess I underestimated how precisely you can adjust the depth of a laser cut. It reminds me of boxes made of birch tree bark. I’ll have to try that as well!

8 Likes

It is not a cut but an engrave, and as for depth, you have to experiment to see what setting get the right depth.

Ha, I obviously never played enough computer games when I grew up. Donkey Kong was new to me and I had to look it up. Very cute :sunglasses:

2 Likes

That is one material I would not leave unattended. That was our go to fuel for starting fires when I was a kid.

Thanks so much. These look great!

Thanks for the warning. My intention is to test the design style with plywood. It only reminded me of the bark design. I’d rather not kindle fire in my forge…

3 Likes

That’s is absolutely gorgeous - I’d never be able to stop staring at it! Your box design is lovely, but your art choices are magnificent!

Thank you so much for the design; I have got to give this a shot!

3 Likes

The shadow boxes that you are making are great. The way that you have made the edges of some of the layers ragged looking adds so much drama to your work. You have the technique down. I especially like the diver box.

3 Likes

They’re all so great, but I especially love the white stag. (And such a generous file share too!)

3 Likes

Amazing process. Thank you for sharing!

1 Like