Furries in MY forum?!

It’s more likely then you’d expect!
But all kidding aside there were a few things I knew I wanted to do once I got my forge. The biggest one was to offer custom pieces to my customers. I am a full time freelance artist who makes a decent chunk of my income from traveling to various conventions and selling art and other wares. A good percentage of my customer/fanbase is furry. Furry people are all about custom art and anything they can get with thier personal characters on it. Here are a few examples I made to take to my next convention in May to take custom orders.

I’ve only had the GF up and running since this past Thursday but I have had so much fun messing with it and trying new things.
Here are some pendants I mocked up, experimenting with glitter inlay before working my way up to more expensive inlay materials.

Also tried my hand at an edge-lit sign. This one is for my husbands youtube channel where he makes and modifies Nerf guns.

And this is all in just 3 days. I cannot wait to try more!

56 Likes

They turned out great! :grinning:

2 Likes

Those are so fun! Can’t wait to see what else you make. Welcome to the wonderful world of 'Forgery.

3 Likes

You certainly hit the ground running! Amazing first projects–I really like the glitter inlay.

4 Likes

Did you use the pattern from the gf founders designs? If so, how did you crop it to the circle without going over the edges?

Very nice! a great start, like the glitter inlay.

1 Like

No you can get very similar patterns online, I just took it into illustrator and masked it into the circle.

Nice work! Can’t wait to see it around the cons. :slight_smile:

@Mossfox - those are very cool. May I ask what you used for the glitter fill? I’m used to subpainting with acrylics and have turned and filled wood with an inlay resin. Curious if it’s a similar material. :slight_smile:

No subpainting. I used this method (same products) just glitter instead of stone.

I plan on upgrading to stone eventually but wanted to get the technique down.

6 Likes

Cool, thanks. It’s a good way to try out a new technique.

After you convert the text to outlines, you need to unite the pieces to avoid overlap of the letters. On the Onna badge. I see the traces of overlaps. It’s easy to fix this on Illustrator. But great job!

Yeah i noticed that after the fact, thanks for the tip!

I have been using Inkscape, but editing at the node level could blend the letters as was your intent, rather than just overlap. The “union” command eliminates the overlap , but editing the nodes at the corners can make the letters flow into each other. :slight_smile:

Check out thermoplastics too for a similar effect. @Xabbess turned me on to the process. Really easy to get nice & clean colored inlays.

1 Like