Fusing acrylic layers together

Does anyone have a good method for fusing 3 layers of acrylic together? I have a design where I etch a reversed logo on 2 pieces of clear acrylic and then put a layer of colored acrylic between them to make the logo stand out. Someone told me acetone, but when I tried it, I get the result below.

My only other thought was thicker acrylic and the logo being exposed, but I wanted the smooth finish and not the exposed logo. Anyone have any thoughts?

Hmm someone did a comparison of different glues with acrylic. Let’s see…

Ah yeah, it was @GrooveStranger in this post:

2 Likes

Thanks. I guess I searched on the wrong term when I searched. I just wonder how this would work and look over a larger area. I’ve got roughly 4"x6" to adhere to.

1 Like

It’s going to be really tough to laminate faces that size, without having air bubbles or “wrinkles” forming between the two, or wasting a lot of material to get the practice needed to perfect it.

The best bet will be the Sci-Grip weld solvents as it will wick across the mating surfaces, however all the edges around the engraving will create dams that will stop the solvent and create air pockets. The solvent can also wick into small detailed parts of the engraving and make them transparent and hard to see.

There are two-color acrylics you can use, where you engrave away a thin layer of color from the back side while the front side remains smooth. Or you can paint your own clear acrylic and engrave the design through the paint layer.

5 Likes

Mechanical fasteners? You can cut a hole through and then engrave out a pocket for the bolt/screw head and nut. Bolts/screws come in so many styles, don’t forget Chicago screws, you could get something that looks good.

3 Likes

Thanks all. I’ll have to take a long look at the design and see if I can’t improve it. I do have some chicago screws laying around in various sizes that I could test with

1 Like