Fusion 360 for Beginners webinar

Looks like we have 5 - 6 people that would like to attend so far so I think we are in pretty good shape. Bring your questions regardless if you are new or a pro at Fusion 360 and we will play around for a bit. Hope to see you all Thursday.

1 Like

I will try to be available. I have been on Fusions website and taking in all their tutorials. I was able to create a couple different things already.

Thanks @garin_gardiner! That was a big help to get me up and running with Fusion 360!

2 Likes

Hi @garin_gardiner ,

Thanks so much for the webinar! I am new to 3D modeling software, and you offered a great overview of Fusion 360 and of what it can do. My next assignment, watch all the tutorial videos you suggested. I am more motivated than ever to get started!

1 Like

Great run thru. Felt that Fusion 360 was overkill for my purposes but now I could see me spending some significant time with it. Thanks a bunch.

1 Like

For some reason GoToMeeting decided to capture the session as 640 x 480 (really small and only part of the screen) so I re-recorded the session and have it posted here.

If you want to download the part, you can download it here.

4 Likes

Thank you Sir!

1 Like

Thanks @garin_gardiner. The seminar was very useful to me!

1 Like

Nice work!!

Thanks Garin. Itā€™s a great program with a lot of features I do not yet understand. But I have lots of time to learn before my GF arrives.

Nice work. Iā€™m playing with Fusion 360 as well, and Iā€™m liking most of what I see. Iā€™m still a little hesitant with the whole ā€œstore everything in the cloudā€ thing, but I may be able to ignore that based on the other features I see. Mostly Iā€™m nervous that Iā€™m going to spend LOTS of time making these designs, and then one day, the company/tool goes away and I can no longer edit my designs.

Quick question: Does anyone else feel ā€œillā€ when they see images that are shown with a Orthographic instead of Perspective view (like the above table)? Or is it just me? I canā€™t stand having a program in a non-perspective view for very long.

ā€œorthographicā€? Iā€™ve not used Fusion 360 and I was being very polite about @bshindorf first efforts and the weird perspective of the table. Thatā€™s a feature? Will have to understand this.

Orthographic

Perspective

1 Like

What utility does it bring? Is it practical from a design or engineering sense? And I like the steppers on extrusions. Been dreaming of CNCs.

I mostly work in Orthographic mode/view. Easier to check for clearances and what not.

Thanks. Iā€™ve only used Sketchup and am not a power user. So I checked it out there and noted it is called parallel projection.

By default, Sketchup has perspective turned on, and Iā€™ve gotten used to it.

Fusion 360 seems to be in ā€œParallelā€ or ā€œOrthographicā€ mode by default. As I said, it makes me physically uncomfortable to view certain designs in Parallel/Orthographic. I donā€™t know why. I canā€™t look at them for too long.

The design that @karaelena posted is OK. But when itā€™s something larger like a bookcase or a table, I need it see it in perspective.

Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s just me.

1 Like

Having taught engineering drafting and graphics on occasion, Iā€™ve interacted with lots of people who worked with orthographic projections. Never heard anyone else mention it bothered themā€¦

Woah. Youā€™re further along that I am and probably most folks on Fusion 360. No one was downing your table. They just had never worked with orthographic projection. Share freely.

I really hope you did not take it down because of my comment. I think the work you were doing was great, and itā€™s nice to see someone else sharing stuff as they are learning. Especially since Iā€™m learning fusion right now as well.

I was in no way ā€œdowningā€ your table, and making disparaging comments about your designs. I was just asking if other people have issues with ā€œorthographicā€ views rather than ā€œparallelā€ views in general. I hate looking at my own designs in orthographic views. I sometimes have to turn it on do so some functions, and I turn if back off immediately because it really bugs me.

I apologize if I came off wrong. Please keep posting your projects. As I said, itā€™s nice to see what others are doing (from beginners to experts).

1 Like